16. rain drops

another month passed and i hadn't heard from darwin. i didn't text him about his sudden disappearance from my apartment, and he didn't text me. i didn't know whether that was supposed to be for better or for worse. all i knew was that it fucking hurt to think that a boy who i'd only known for a little while could make me hurt so much inside. the feeling was unknown and indescribable, foreign to my body. i hadn't felt this way towards anyone for as long as i could remember. 

and i'd rather keep it that way.  

i'd seen him on multiple occasions: walking around the school campus (which i still wasn't completely certain on whether i wanted to go back to or not), sitting on a park bench and kissing riley softly on the cheek, and driving on a road i often walked along on warm summer days (i guess he was finally able to afford that car he'd been saving up for after all those hours he worked at the shop).

on one stormy afternoon, i'd seen him scurrying down the city streets of oregon, the ones i'd originally met him on. his feet were fast and strategic, trying to escape the massive puddles in the concaved areas in the sidewalk while remaining under his umbrella at the same time.

but, all at once, he paused amidst the crowds of people returning from work. they paid him no mind, besides the occasional glance of scorn in his direction. he removed the umbrella from above his head and stuffed it back into his backpack, turning his head towards the gray clouds and letting his eyes flutter closed.

i watched in awe as the rain completely soaked him, from his dirty blonde curls to his bright, white sneakers. i did the same as him, tilting my chin back and letting the water drop on my face. it felt nice to do this every once in a while; to forget all your problems and live in the moment for once.

but soon, the moment ended and i returned to my normal position. the sky was still churning, i was shivering, and, as i looked back across the street at darwin, i found that he was staring right back at me.

a/n: ;)