19. wrong date

the wind blows relentlessly, threatening to sweep the small, wispy strands of hair from behind my ears. i, however, come prepared, so i proceed to spritz the shit out of my hairspray.  

"spray that putrid chemical device one more time," aspen says, plugging his nose and turning to me with a glare on his face. "i dare you."

i consider my options, noting his menacing tone. smiling sweetly, i spray it right in his eyes.

"what the fuck! you're crazy!" he screeches, wiping his face vigorously. "i'm leaving."

my eyes widen and i reach out to grab his arm. "wait, i'm sorry," i sigh. "i—i can't go to prom alone...it'll be humiliating."

he stares at the school and then looks at me, nose twitching. i don't know if it's a good or bad sign. it doesn't matter, though, because the next thing i know, he's sighing and pulling me inside the building.

the place of learning has been completely transformed, resembling a more pleasant version of a club with its neon lights and dimmed atmosphere. a few heads turn when i walk in with aspen. maybe they notice that he's a college student or they're just surprised i was able to get a date. or maybe it's the fact that we had arrived terribly late. who knows and who cares.

aspen looks anything but comfortable standing beside me, eyes darting from the students to the walls. "what are we supposed to do now?"

"i don't—"

i'm interrupted by the dj, who announces that it's time to "slow things down a little." i cringe as the words register in my brain, sneaking a glance at the boy beside me.

"hell, no. i'm not slow-dancing with you." he gives me a disgusted look.

"yeah," someone says. "he's right. he's not going to slow-dance with you. i am."

my brows are furrowed as i turn to question the person who'd spoken, only to have all the words slip from my mind.

darwin.

a/n: oOOOOO btw there's one more chapter left and then there's the epilogue and then two bonus chapters woo.