Chapter 1

The first five chapters of this fic are 3+ years old. I'm back, editing what exists and attempting to continue the story!

A/N: This idea came to me when I was reading a lovely fanfiction called What The Room Requires. I know it's on fanfiction.net, I'm not sure about here. Hermione was musing about what she would do if she'd grown up in Draco's place, and this idea just barreled into me. This story is the result.

-_-_-_-

Platform 9 and ¾ was almost empty. Hermione was supposed to stay there until precisely 5:15 pm, as her parents couldn't get off work before then and they didn't want her alone in King's Cross. She wasn't the only one waiting. Hannah Abbott wrote what seemed like the hundredth letter and affixed it to the waiting owl. Hermione heard her grumble something about how inconsiderate her uncle was, and how she was perfectly old enough to traverse muggle London.

There were a few first years huddled together, waiting for their guardians. And in the corner, avoiding anyone's gaze and fiddling with some small object in his hands, was Draco Malfoy.

Hermione wasn't surprised that his parents were late, or not coming at all. After all, everyone knew Voldemort was back, now. And everyone knew that his father was a death eater. His aunt Bellatrix had just murdered Sirius Black. Hermione looked away from him, the very sight of him made her remember Sirius, the fun, kind, wonderful man, frozen with a laugh still on his face. She remembered him fading into the archway. That's when she'd heard the voices Harry and Luna had mentioned, and seen the veil.

"Finally!" Hannah exclaimed as a man apparated next to her. "Took you long enough. I've been standing here for hours!" The man only grumbled and rolled his eyes. She took his arm and with a sharp crack, they had disapparated. A few minutes later, one of the bolder first years approached Draco.

He looked down on the young girl with disgust. A Gryffindor. "Excuse me, but may we use your owl? My father is terribly late, and he's supposed to take us all home."

Draco's lip curled. "Suppose I have need of my owl," he retorted. "No, you may not use him." Hermione glared at him, but he didn't seem to notice. The girl cowered and scurried back to her friends. Hermione went over to them.

"You might try the station master," she suggested. "He may have an owl you can use." The first years stared up at her with relief and adoration before collectively moving to the station house. Draco rolled his eyes and went back to turning the trinket over in his hands. Hermione's curiosity got the best of her. "What's that?"

"None of your business," Draco sneered, moving to pocket it, but not before Hermione got a closer look.

"I've read about those!" Hermione exclaimed. "That's a Lying Lifetaker! They're really rare, and incredibly dangerous! They're supposed to take away a person's life, their experiences, everything. How did you get one?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "Go away, Granger," he said. His pocket rattled where the small, metal object had been tucked. They both looked at it.

"What was that," Hermione whispered. Draco tried and failed to put on a brave face. He slowly moved his hand to his pocket. "No!" Hermione exclaimed. Draco withdrew the Lying Lifetaker. It was quivering.

"Go away Granger," Draco repeated savagely. Again she ignored him.

"I know where you got that," she realized. "At least, I know how. Illegally, that's how." Hermione knew she was walking on dangerous ground, but what if she could put Harry's suspicions to rest? What if she could get through to Draco Malfoy? "You don't have to follow your family into this. You're mean, and cruel, but you don't have to be evil."