Chapter 3

The first few weeks of school were the best of both their lives. Hermione excelled in Charms and Transfiguration from the start. Draco seemed to have a talent in Flying, along with Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Quirrell liked him, as Draco wasn't one of the students who laughed at and mocked his turban and odor.

Hermione, Draco, Susan, Neville, Dean, and Seamus were a close group of friends. They represented all the houses but Slytherin, until one day three weeks into the term. It was Draco's birthday. He was terribly embarrassed to turn 12 before all the others, and some others found this fact hilarious as well.

"What's the use in being top of the class if you're a year older than all the rest of us?" Pansy Parkinson sneered. She and Millicent Bulstrode burst into cackling laughter. Draco blushed and tried to leave, but a tall boy blocked his path.

"What's going on?" Blaise Zabini asked. Pansy beamed at him.

"Hi Blaise," she said, pushing her hair behind her ear. Millicent Bulstrode giggled. Blaise rolled his eyes.

"Hi Pansy. What's going on, Granger," he repeated.

Draco shrugged. "Nothing."

Pansy spoke up. Her voice sounded like a hyena's bark as she said, "If this mudblood was in the grade he should be in, he'd be at the bottom of his class for sure. Today's his birthday, you know. He's twelve!"

Blaise sneered at her. "Pansy, if you were in the grade that matched your mental capacity, you wouldn't come here for four more years." Pansy gasped and stared at her idol. Millicent looked between them with wide eyes. Finally, Pansy ran away sobbing. Millicent was close on her heels.

Draco stared at Blaise. "Erm... thank you, I suppose."

"Pansy's the most irritating girl in the school," Blaise said, waving off Draco's gratitude. "About time someone told her so." Draco tried to go again, but again Blaise stopped him. "So, I know you're a mud-muggleborn, but you are super smart. Can you give me some help in Potions? There's only so much fudging of the numbers Snape can do before he finally has to admit that his Slytherins aren't doing well in his class."

Draco stared at Blaise, then realized that his mouth was wide open, and closed it. "You want me to... tutor you?"

"Yes," Blaise responded simply. Draco's mouth fell open again. "Listen, if you don't, I'll just ask another Ravenclaw. My family knows Hermione's family, I can ask her, if you'd have a problem doing it."

"Er- no," Draco decided. "No, I can do it. Thank you, for asking me I mean."

Blaise nodded. "Sure. Say, who's ahead- you or Malfoy?"

Draco blushed. "I'm not sure. We just know that we're at the top, not who's first."

Blaise frowned. "When you find out, let me know," he said. In a quieter voice he added, "Me and Justin in Hufflepuff have a bet going. Don't tell a teacher?"

"No," Draco promised. "Who do you have your money on?"

Blaise gave him a mysterious grin. "I can't tell you that, it'd ruin the surprise each of us has prepared for the winner!"

Draco laughed. "Okay, then. I like you and Justin equally, so I guess I won't try to help one of you more than the other." Before ten minutes ago, he'd have hated Blaise simply because of the house association to Pansy and Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, not the mention nasty Millicent Bulstrode. But this Slytherin, it turned out, was alright.

"Cool," Blaise said with a good-natured laugh. "Catch you later, then." He ran away. From that day forward, the group had a Slytherin in their ranks.