Call A Truce?

Mitchell Caufield

"Have you finished the Gomier File as yet Caufield?" My boss Anne-Marie asked.

"I have. I passed it along to Legal as you asked," I said giving her a small smile as we all did here at the firm.

I was an associate at New York City's biggest law firm- Skadden Arps. A very coveted position by many of my law school friends but each day here felt like it was slowly sucking away all the life from me.

& I've only been here for about 6 months.

"Hey Cauliflower," this associate who'd began working here with me glided up to my office door with his usually annoying ass grin.

"Now Ron, you know we're only associates & I mean that strictly in the sense that we only work here together with the job title of associate...so please, cut the nickname out." I said batting my eyes at him.

He chuckled, paying no mind to my very serious statement.

"I heard through the grape vine that 70th floor may need a new partner- just letting you know in advance...don't bother try." He winked before straightening up his tie and heading off to bother some other poor soul.

I thoroughly rolled my eyes at the Caucasian jackass that had just left.

Ron had gone to Columbia while I had gone to Harvard Law. Our academic credentials matched up pretty closely, so for that reason he felt I was his number one competition in making partner.

I was about to open up my mail when my phone rang.

"Oh great," I muttered as I answered.

"Mitchell. Did you check your stocks this morning?"

"Nice to speak to you too dad, I'm great," I gave him a sarcastic smile As he eyed me over the FaceTime call.

I sighed, " Yes I did. It went down by 2%"

He rambled on about some market shares and the Oil prices a few minutes before finally letting up.

"How's work? I heard a position for partner is opening up."

"How did everyone get that memo but me?" I asked sincerely confused by the fact.

"Mitchell, networking. You're 25 years old, I don't need to tell you this," he said sounding a little exasperated.

"I know Dad, and if it is true. I'm on top of it," I reassured him.

"Clearly you're not if you didn't even know about it, but you've never failed me yet so..." he finished off.

"I need to get back to work, it's almost 5 pm and I have to complete this paperwork before Day end," I lied as I opened up my mail.

"Alright. I'll talk to you soon honey," he said ending the call before I could say goodbye. As usual.

It didn't really bother me. That's how my dad operated. And I mean I'd dealt with it for 25 years so, it really was nothing new to me.

I got excited by my little package I was opening up when I got to thinking. There was some incomplete task, but what? I placed my head in my palm trying to remember...

 There was some incomplete task, but what? I placed my head in my palm trying to remember