Chapter 3- Get Ready For Hell

A few weeks later, our daily chores were interrupted by Sheriff Brady and Mr. Murphy, who owned a store in town. They had several other men with them as well, about 15 of them total. The boys and I came to greet them, and John came out of the house. Billy was hiding in the pigsty. 

"Hello John," Brady said. "Mr. Murphy's complaining about his mercy wagon being robbed several times on his way into town. Frankly, he thinks you're behind it."

"That's a damn lie, and you know it!" Dick yelled. 

"Richard!" John said sharply. He took a deep breath and looked at Brady. "Sheriff Brady, Mr. Murphy is going to continue coming to you with such complaints until I am pronounced a thief and chased out of Lincoln."

"The belted earl had spoken!" Murphy laughs. "Look behind you, earl. All I see are hired thieves." I felt insulted. Us, the Regulators, thieves?

"These boys are promising young men."

"And the girl?"

"The same. They are all acquiring an education here."

"Ah," Murphy said. "I had you pegged as type that liked educating young men and girls." The other men laughed, and we all saw the dirty second meaning to Murphy's words. 

"Go to hell, all of you!" I shouted at them, which made them only laugh harder. John have me a chastising look, but my brother gave me the opposite: an approving one. Murphy got off his horse and beckoned John to the side, and they spoke for a minute, Murphy looked as though he was almost threatening John. But then John said, "I shall be damned if I shall be swayed by something as ugly as political conventions. Now take your threats and your sheriff and get off my property."

The two of them walked back, and Murphy shouted "But you're better off selling ladies undergarments in Hampstead!" The 6 of us drew our guns, and the mens' horses started. Murphy said a few more things, I can't quite remember what, but I do remember, and always will, the last thing he said before riding off.

"Get ready for Hell."

No, hell hasn't frozen over, and no, pigs can't fly. But yes, I updated twice in one day. I may even post one more chapter later! We'll see, I guess. Thank you so much for reading, I appreciate it. If you actually read my author's notes, comment "Regulation is key" I also want to do a q and a so if you have questions for me, comment them and I'll answer some! -Emma