Chapter One--The Chase

Neal Caffrey sprinted after Matthew Keller, the guy who had kidnapped Peter's wife and caused him so much distress and potentially tried to ruin his life. Neal ignored Peter yelling for him to come back and think this through. Neal was deadset focused on catching Keller this time.

Never again would Keller disrupt anyone's life. Never again would he hurt someone he loved. Never again would he try. And never again would he use Neal as a tool.

Keller rounded a corner and Neal followed him, pushing himself to run faster. Keller made a sharp right, then a sharp left. Neal knew he was trying to shake him off his tail but Neal was determined to stay on him.

Keller sprinted down main street, flipping concession stands over to block Neal's path. Neal jumped over one and almost tripped over a trashcan but managed to keep his balance.

Neal put on an extra burst of speed noticing as he was slowing down and falling behind. Keller turned down an alley and disappeared from sight. Neal ran down the alley and got hit in the face with a pipe.

Neal fell down hard groaning in pain. His nose was gushing blood and he pushed himself to his feet. Keller swung the pipe at Neal's head again but Neal ducked down and came back up kicking Keller in the chest, sending him back.

Keller scowled and stomped towards Neal, swinging the pipe at the side of his head, blindsiding him. Neal went down writhing in pain. Keller prepared to bash his head in when there was the sound of a gun clicking.

"Put the weapon down, Keller." Peter said. "Or I will be forced to shoot."

Neal stared up at Keller, thinking that he would drop the pipe and run. Oh how wrong he was.

"No you won't." Keller swung the pipe at Neal's head knocking him out for a couple seconds. And then he ran.

Coming to a couple minutes later, Neal groaned and Peter helped pull him to his feet. Swaying on his feet, his vision went black for a couple moments. Peter steadied him as he almost toppled over.

"Why didn't you shoot him?" Neal asked, his eyes glazed over.

"I was more worried about you." Peter states. "Don't worry. We'll get him."

"When? Every time we're close he manages to slip through our fingers." Neal tells Peter halfheartedly.

"I think you might have a concussion." Peter states. As he says that Neal collapses unconscious and Peter was barely able to catch him.

"Oh Neal. What am I going to do with you?"

🔥🔥🔥🔥
Neal opens his eyes groaning in pain. There's a steady painful throbbing in his head and he can't focus on anything.

He heard voices that belonged to Peter, Elizabeth and a doctor outside his hospital room.

"Is Neal going to be okay?"

"He's gonna be just fine but he has a hairline of a fracture in his skull. So he'll have to take it easy for a while." The doctor said. "Plus a minor concussion."

Concussion? Fractured skull?

Neal couldn't really remember what happened earlier that day or how he got hurt so bad. The only thing was that Keller's face kept popping up. Almost like a flashback.

Peter and Elizabeth strode into the room, smiling at him. "How do you feel Neal?" Elizabeth asked him.

"Like shit...I guess?" Neal says, grimacing. "My head hurts and I can't remember anything that happened."

"That's normal for the concussion you got Mr. Caffrey." The doctor said.

Neal eyed him, before turning to Peter. "What happened?"

Peter shook his head. "It's better if you don't know right now. Just focus on getting better."

Neal frowned, clearly wanting to protest but went against his own better judgement and clamped his mouth shut.

Not saying a word.