Trouble

The elevator went down for what felt like forever. How far down were we going, exactly? Felt like miles and miles! 

"Oi! Heavy, you're crushing me, mate!" Demoman said with a weak voice.

"Sorry, Demo. I do not have much room," Heavy replied.

"Maybe we'd have more room if you stopped eating those damn sandwiches, Fatty!" Spy said with annoyance as he peeked over Medic's shoulder to speak.

"Shut it!" Heavy snapped.

"All of you, be quiet!" I called out. "I think I see something!"

Everyone tried to look out the front of the elevator to see what was going on. We could make out a large, dome-shaped room that seemed to be covered in gray-blue tiles. And right in the center of the room, hanging from the ceiling, was some sort of robot.

It was mostly white, save for some black wires near the back and a glowing yellow light in the front that I could assume was its eye. It seemed to be watching us as we descended. Finally, the elevator stopped moving and the glass door in front of us opened up. When it did, we all just fell out like a wave, groaning and complaining in the process. We then slowly got up and looked at the machine hanging from the ceiling. Its yellow light was still focused on us. 

"Who are you?" a synthesized female voice asked. "What are you doing here?"

We all looked at each other, trying to pick someone to give an answer. Finally, I cleared my throat and removed my hat.

"Hello, Miss," I told the robot. "We don't mean any harm. We're just time travelers trying to figure out where and when we are."

The robot continued to stare at us, seeming to look at each of us individually.

"Time travelers?" the voice asked.

"Yes, I know it sounds crazy," I admitted, "but I swear it's the truth! We're just looking for a way home, but we needed to figure out where we were, first."

"I'll tell you where you are; you're in my chamber. A place only those with my permission can enter. And nobody has my permission to enter."

"Ma'am, I assure you we aren't trying to be a bother."

"You're failing."

"Can you please just try and help us? All we need to do is find a way back to our time and we'll be out of your hair."

She stood still, as if to think.

"I have no method or reason for helping you," she finally told us. "But I think I can find a way for you to help me."

"Excuse me?"

"I thought I'd be fine with just one test subject forever, but I suppose having eight could make for some enjoyment."

"Test subject? For what?"

"You'll see soon enough."

"Now hold on a second!" I said with annoyance. "We ain't doing anything you say until you start explaining things!"

"Very well."

Suddenly, I could hear a hissing sound coming from above us. We all looked and saw some sort of yellowish-green gas coming from holes in the ceiling. It didn't take long for us to start coughing.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I asked the robot in fear.

"I'm releasing a deadly neurotoxin in the air, slowly and painfully killing you."

"What?! Why?!"

"If you cannot help me with testing, then you serve no purpose to me."

I looked around and saw my men grabbing their chests and coughing up a storm. Some of them were even collapsing on the ground!

"ALRIGHT! WE'LL DO IT!" I finally screamed in fear.

"I knew I could convince you."

The gas suddenly stopped dispensing, but that didn't stop us all from coughing like crazy.

"You're lucky you agreed when you did; had you been exposed to the neurotoxin any longer, the tall twig with the funny-looking hat and sunglasses would have been history."

"Hey!" Sniper called out. "Who you callin' a twig?"

"You. I was calling YOU a twig."

"Yeah, well two can play at that game you... you... she-devil!"

"Hm. Your failure to give a proper insult is amusing to me. No matter; time for testing!"

Suddenly, a new gas came out of the wall, only this one was white. That's when I felt lightheaded and sleepy. The next thing I knew, I was unconscious.