Chapter 10: On the Road

The next day you woke up and the semi was parked at some small rest stop with only a bathroom and a vending machine. It was only ten in the morning. You got out of the cab and Wilford walked out of the bathrooms as you walked in. When you came back to the semi, he had a box of doughnuts. 

"I bought these this morning, help yourself." He said and you grabbed a powdered doughnut with razz berry filling. You also picked up a bottle of orange juice and drank it. Wilford started driving again and you flipped on the radio. The station played some memorable 90's hits that you quietly sang along to while looking out the window at the scenery. 

After about another half hour you passed a large sign saying 'Welcome to Arizona' and several rest stops with little stands of Native American crafts and items. 

Several hours passed by just like that, listening to the radio, watching everything go by quietly. You didn't really speak to Wilford, and he didn't really speak to you. It gave you time to think, about everything. About Chuck, about Wilford, about your parents- what would they think of this crazy adventure? If you did leave Wilford, would you tell the police about him? Would you take the blame yourself? Would you say some bullshit and claim you didn't know who killed them? If you stayed, what would happen? Would you become a murderer like him? Would you be on the run from the cops, like officially? What would you do? What would you choose?

"There's a larger rest stop in about two hours that I like to stop at when I'm close by. Is it okay if we stop there for the night?" Wilford asked and snapped you out of your thoughts. 

"Uh yeah that's fine." You said and drank the end of your orange juice. You watched Wilford for a while after that. He was focused on driving, so he didn't pay much attention to you staring at him. He seemed nice, his face was scary when he was chasing you, but then he was angry. Did he have anger problems? He didn't seem like an angry person. How did he feel about you? You were a stranger, and he rescued you. He did use you as bait for Chuck, which was fucked up, but he killed Chuck, so you would never have to be scared of him again. You were with him for so long it just felt like a never ending torment. You never had to worry again about him, you weren't sad he was dead, you were happy. You were at peace. 

Why the fuck were you at peace? Chuck was murdered by the man sitting not even five feet from you. And you didn't know how to feel about him.

He promised not to murder or hurt anybody, so why worry? But why not worry? If he's impulsive and is willing to kill based on his own system of justice, he could kill anyone. So what would that promise prove? Nothing. But it seemed like it proved everything, that you were upset with him and he acknowledged that and made a promise. He was giving you time to make a decision and think about it carefully. 

Strange, isn't it?

Wilford pulled into a little rest stop with only two gas pumps, a little mechanics shop and a diner. He parked near the back of the diner, away from the main street a bit. You both walked into the diner and sat down in a circle booth near the back.

The waitress came over and took our orders, and left quickly to the kitchen. She came back quickly with our orders and a key that she slid across the table and then left again.

"It's the key for the showers. You need the key to get in." He said and slid it over to you. It was old and rusty, attached to a wooden plaque with the word bathroom carved in it. You both ate and then went back to the cab. You set up your seat as a bed and Wilford disappeared for about an hour. He came back with wet hair and tossed you the bathroom key.

"If I were you I'd shower now while it's still light out, this place gets kinda spoopy at night." Wilford said and stretched in his seat, reclining and putting his arms behind his head.