Down at the beach

I lifted my head off the soft sand. It was early in the morning and I could still feel dew in the air. I smelled the remains of a barbecue or campfire in the air. I looked at the sky, remembering the fascinating stars that had been there just a few hours ago.

     Kate whispered to me, "Are you awake?"

     "Yeah," I replied.

     My eyes started to glance around, awakening from my slumber. I saw Jen to my left. Where was Sabrina? She probably went inside or something. A moment later, we heard a car pull out of the driveway and drive away, which was unusual since we were in the middle of nowhere. I just thought it was someone who got lost and had to turn around.

     Kate whispered, "Jen's still asleep."

     With sly grins on our faces, we both grabbed two ends of the towel she was laying on. We picked her up and carried her over to the water. We were both bursting out in laughter by that point. We started to swing the towel and Kate whispered, "One, Two, Three!"

     We both let go of Jen and the towel and she went sailing into the water with a splash. We were both giggling as a drenched Jen appeared a second later. Jen laughed it off with us.

     We walked back up the beach, grabbed our things, and went into the house. We called for Sabrina, but she wasn't there. She probably went back home to get ready for that expensive art camp that she goes to.

     I grabbed the pancake mix and heated up the stove. I pulled a pan out of the cabinet and placed it on the stove. I then took a spoonful of pancake batter and placed it on the sizzling pan to cook. I took my phone out and sent Sabrina a quick text asking her to send me her location. I checked the Snapchat maps but they were turned off. I had not the slightest clue where to start looking for her.

     As I took the first pancake off the stove I asked, "Did any of you hear Sabrina leave?"

     "I heard two people talking this morning, I thought it was one of you two and Sabrina." said Kate.

     "I didn't even see Sabrina this morning," Jen replied.

     "Me neither," I said.

     This was starting to get confusing.

     "Maybe her mom came to pick her up" I suggested.

     I got no response. We were all playing it over in our minds what had happened but none of us could come up with a valid answer. We tried to call her, but no one answered. She always answered her phone. We had no idea where she went, and for now, she was lost.