Chapter 25

-Austin's POV-

"Okay," She breathed a sigh of relief into the phone.

I risk fully switched lanes on the highway without indication or checking. One hand was hung loosely on the wheel with the other propped up against the window with my phone to my ear.

"Are you nearly here?" She asked, with hope evident in her voice.

"Yeah. Why did you go so far out of town" I said, growing agitated the more I thought out this whole situation.

"I don't know I was just driving and before I even realised anything the car run out of-" She was cut short and silence suddenly filled the other end of the call.

"Madison?!" I asked, unable to hide the worried tone in my voice. I quickly swerved a right as I approached the motel.

"I'm okay. He's coming up to my room." She whispered.

"I'm here just-" I was cut off when I head a loud gun shot echoe from outside of the car. As fast as I possibly could, I fled out of my car and ran up to the building.

"Austin!" She yelled.

The voice was beyond the phone call now, and it rang through my ears. I stuffed my phone into my pocket and looked up at the building, desperately trying to find some kind of place I could get access. Within a matter of a few seconds, I noticed some rusty metal stairs going up the side of the building which let to a door. Without even thinking about it, I found myself sprinting up the stairs two at a time until I got to the door. It was unlocked already, which seemed to be the only thing that's gone right for me lately.

I sprinted down the hall calling her name as I tried to locate where she was. The sound of agonizing screams indicated which room she was in and I ran over to it. I stopped at the locked door and repeatedly barged into it, trying with all the strength I could muster to break it down. The door crashed forwards, throwing my body with it as I stumbled into the room. My breathing was heavy and unstable and my body was tense. Automatically, my eyes fell to the small body tucked up on the floor. Madison.

She looked like the life had been knocked right out of her.

I rushed over to her and kneeled down beside her. Her breathing was weak and I could tell she was in some immense pain. "It burns like hell" She screamed, tightening her hand which was kept over the wound. I needed to do something- the longer you wait, the more it hurts.

My gaze moved down to her arm which was leaving a small pool of blood on the floor. I gently grasped onto her wrist and moved it aside so that I could see the damage. Her hand was covered with blood and her top was stained. The bullet was still stuck in her skin.

"Is it bad?" She asked shakily.

Yes.

"No." I stated calmly.

My mind was going crazy- but at the same time it was blank. I know the possibilities that a life in crime entails- but I never thought it'd get this far. I was always supposed to protect her. It shouldn't be like this. Everything felt so surreal.

It took me a good few minutes to work up the courage to do what I was about to do. Mainly because I knew I was about to cause her the most intense discomfort.

I threw my jacket to the side and took my shirt off. "This is gonna be painful" I warned her and she nodded, drawing in a big breath.

As quickly as possible, I tore the bullet from her arm and tightly wrapped my shirt around the upper arm where the wound was, to prevent blood loss. I blocked out the noises of her agonizing screams, knowing I was doing what was best for her.