Chapter 1

I couldn't still the feeling in the pit of my stomach that either something was either going to go incredibly wrong that day, or wonderfully right. The butterflies of excitement whirred around in my stomach as I flitted through the clothes in my wardrobe for something that would be fitting for either occasion.

Cairnholm wasn't the sunniest place but I suppose I'd never known anything else. I was born and raised on the island and I doubted that I would ever leave it. In all my seventeen years of life I had rarely spent a sunny day there. But that didn't mean I wasn't prepared.

It was morbid weather that day but that didn't stop me. I lifted a white sun dress down from the hanger and paired it with a pair of blue converse. I didn't really feel the cold. I would have been surprised if I could.

I dressed fast and dragged a brush through my long black hair and I splashed some water on my face. I brushed my teeth and took one last glance in the mirror. I never wore make up, I didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it off. My grey eyes were framed by dark lashes that matched the colour of my hair. My pink lips smirked back at me as I tried to figure out where I'd go for the day.

There was no way I was going to hang out with the other teenagers on the Island. They can't rap and it's difficult to retain my lunch whilst listening to them. I decided that I'd just go and help at the Inn.

I grabbed an apple from the table and ignored the silence that rang out through the house. I was on my own. I hadn't seen my parents since the incidence. I'd be shocked and terrified if I did and my first question would be to ask them how they got out of their coffins.

And how they could see to find me.

I skipped down the path, pushing the negative thoughts to the back of my mind. I arrived at the inn in less than five minutes and I entered, the bell tinkling as I sauntered through the door.

"Good Morning, Victoria. What could I help you with today?" The inn keeper said and I folded my arms on top of the counter.

"It's more like what can I help you with. I thought I'd stop by and volunteer for a while," I said, fighting to ignore the faint pulsating yellow light that emanated from the happy inn keeper.

As far back as I can remember, I've had the ability to see auras. An aura is a light that emanates from a person, showing me how they're feeling. For example, if they're happy, their aura will be red. If they're sad, the aura will be dark blue. If they're in love, their aura will be pink.

At first I thought I was crazy, who wouldn't. But then I started to use my gift to my advantage. I knew when to stop pushing someone on an answer if they were angry and to comfort them when their aura was blue. I knew when to ask my parents for something when their aura was yellow and I knew to stay out of their way if it was a deep red.

"I have a few glasses that need cleaning and you can help serve lunch but I also have an errand for you to run. A few teenagers brought their dinner down to the beach last night and they never brought their plates back. I assume they broke them. I don't want any one stepping on the shards and hurting their bare feet so could you clean that up for me?" I watched as his aura flicked to red for just a moment when he mentioned the irresponsibility of the teenagers and I nodded my head.

I grabbed a bin bag from behind the counter and I skipped my way down to the beach. I found the broken plates immediately and my heart swelled with anger when it appeared that the inn keeper was right. This was one of the reasons I didn't hang out with anyone else my age on the island: their immaturity.

This also meant that I had a very boring love life as I've never dated anyone before but I couldn't care less. I'd rather remain chaste for the rest of my life than enter a dead-end relationship with any of the idiots in Cairnholm.