Chapter 6

"Vicki, get up," I felt someone shake my shoulder. I buried my head in my pillow to try and get a bit more sleep. But it wasn't my pillow.

My pillow didn't chuckle.

"Miss Peregrine will come in here and find us soon if you don't go back to your own bed now," The voice said again. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I looked around and saw that I was still in Enoch's room. And that I had fallen asleep on him.

"Sorry for last night," I yawned, stretching my arms over my head. Enoch chuckled again and moved over. We had fallen asleep sitting up which is something I never accomplished before.

"It's fine. Miss Peregrine was up fifteen minutes ago so I really think you should go before she finds you in here," He whispered. I nodded, standing up on shaking legs.

"I think I'm just going to start making breakfast. I doubt I'll get back to sleep again," I said and he nodded. I closed the door behind me as quietly as I could, trying not to disturb anybody else.

I tip toed down the stairs and into the kitchen and Miss Peregrine was sitting at the table having a cup of coffee. I didn't say anything as I was too tired to respond and she seemed the same.

I took the pan out of the bottom cupboard and set it on the stove to heat it. I then cracked a few eggs into a measuring jug and added flour and milk. I added the other ingredients to make pancakes and then I stirred it until it was the perfect mixture.

I poured the mixture onto the pan into a circle and waited. I got a spatula and flipped it onto the other side for a few minutes. Then I took it out of the pan and put it onto a plate. I started making my third pancake by the time that everybody was starting to come down the stairs for breakfast.

I can't remember the number of pancakes that I made, I just know that the amount was way over ten. I took the large, stacked plate into the dining room and sat it on the middle of the table. Olive went into the kitchen to help me by boiling the water for everybody's tea.

By the time everything for breakfast was made, everybody was up and sitting at the dining table. The sun had risen and the clock had struck ten o'clock. I was surprised at how long it had taken me but I was glad that the preparation was over. I needed something to distract myself with and cooking was what I made do with.

"Victoria, not that I'm not grateful that you made all this, but why were you up so early this morning?" Miss Peregrine asked and I froze, my fork half way to my mouth. Enoch looked at me with wide eyes and I would have laughed at his expression if I wasn't so panicked.

"I had a nightmare and I couldn't go back to sleep," I said and Enoch breathed a sigh of relief. Either he was really scared of Miss Peregrine or he really didn't want anyone to know that I was in his room last night.

I was both, scared of Miss Peregrine and dreading that anybody would find out about the night before.

"What happened?" Claire asked, her blue eyes looking up at me with innocence.

"She doesn't have to tell us, Claire," Miss Peregrine scolded her.

"No, it's fine. I have to tell you anyway," I said quickly. The head mistress looked at me with confusion before motioning with her hand for me to continue. "It was about my parents'...death."

Everyone gasped in shock but they didn't make me continue. I looked at Miss Peregrine and she nodded at me, signalling that I would have to tell her the full story later.

"Were your parents normal?" Horace asked and I shook my head.

"No, they were peculiar. Apparently, you guys knew them," I said and their faces took on a look of sheer terror.