Chapter 4

I had been at the home for over a week and I had settled back into a routine. My chores were rather simple as my peculiarity couldn't be used for anything other than parlour tricks so I was mainly stuck in the kitchen scrubbing the pots and pans or trying to figure out a way to cook the herculean vegetables that Bronwyn and Fiona deposited on the table daily.

Enoch wasn't speaking to me as often as he had the first few days. I had grown closer with everyone else and he apparently took that as a way of me saying that 'I didn't need him anymore' which makes little to no sense.

The boy from Horace's dream had arrived on the Island and I was being sent along with Emma that day to collect him, much to Enoch's anger and dismay.

"You can't leave," He said whilst I grabbed my over coat beside the door. Cairnholm never has good weather so there was no doubt I would need it.

"Why, Enoch?" I sighed, grabbing my welly boots as well, just in case.

"What if you don't come back?" He asked.

"You and I both know that's not going to happen," I replied.

"And what if it does?"

"What do you care?"

"That's not fair."

"And why is that? You've been ignoring me all damn week," I snapped and he shook his head, acting as if there was some huge plot point that I was missing.

"You were with everyone else and I didn't want to disturb you," He explained but we both knew it was a bad excuse.

"You would have done it before. Just because I talk to the others more than I did when I arrived does not mean that I don't have time for you anymore. If anything, it's the other way around."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I need to go," I said once I had slipped on my welly boots. "Move, Enoch." I snapped when he moved in front of the door way.

"If you won't talk to me, fine. I'm coming with you."

"Miss Peregrine will freak out."

"I don't care. I'm. Going." He growled before storming out of my room and down the stairs. I screeched in frustration and stomped my foot before following the grump down the stairs.

Emma raised an eyebrow at me when Enoch informed them that he was going with us. I shook my head and she took that as a note not to say anything about it. I didn't need him to be any angrier at me than he already was.

We closed the front door behind our little party that consisted of Emma, Olive, Bronwyn, the twins, Enoch and myself. I waved to Hugh and Millard who were playing football on the lawn and they returned it, a few bees fluttering through the air over to us. I giggled when one landed on my nose and Enoch went to swat it away and I dodged his hand just in time.

"That was a bad excuse to hit me," I snapped and he rolled his eyes.

We continued the walk in silence. I held Bronwyn's hand as she clambered over the rocky path of the cave interior. She gripped my hand so tight I heard a cracking sound and I thought it could have been possible that she broke a bone. I still hadn't gotten used to the strength of the girl.

Time stood still once again and then I heard the rushing of the waves. We clambered out onto the outcrop of rock and smoothed out our clothes. Enoch's face grew a faraway look as he looked at my cottage on the hill. Nobody had moved in yet which I was happy about but I was sure that my note had been found. Police tape encircled the house.