Prologue

All rights go to JKR, duh. 

Adalyn is mine, other than that...nada :P

The One That Got Away

Sirius Black’s Daughter

Prologue

            Snow fell heavily, turning the Hogwarts grounds into a winter wonderland. It was a grey day, but to Lucy Quinn, it was dark and light at the same time. Her hands fluttered nervously at her side, wondering how she would tell the wonderful boy waiting for her that he had made a mistake. They had made a mistake.

Climbing the stairs up to the east tower, Lucy pushed her light brown hair behind her ears and took a deep breathe; he was waiting for her, at the top of this tower were he’d first kissed her. She didn’t want to tell him…but he deserved to know. It would we wrong not to tell him. Not telling him would deprive him of a life he might love…or not.

“Sirius?” she said, stepping up into the tower known to the school as ‘The Kaleidoscope’ because of the stain glass windows it had instead of regular ones; on nice days when the sun shone the room would turn dozens of colours, as if you were inside a kaleidoscope. “Sirius, are you up here?”

“I’m here.” She turned to see Sirius Black, the boy she dreamt of every night, standing in the far corner. He wasn’t smiling. “Hey Lucy.”

“Hi Sirius.” She smiled and moved towards him, planting a small, gentle kiss on his scratchy cheek. “I’m glad you asked me to meet you, because-”

“Lucy,” he cut her off “I’ve got something to tell you.”

“Me, too!” Lucy didn’t like the look on his face; he looked sad, lonely almost. “Um, you go first.”

“Alright.” He took a deep breathe and tried to look Lucy in the eye, but couldn’t seem to do it. It scared her a little, how he couldn’t –wouldn’t? - look at her “Lucy, these past few months, summer included, have been…wonderful.”

“For me, too.” Said Lucy quietly.

He smiled tightly “Good, um, that’s…good.” Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair “Lucy, I don’t know how to say this…”

“If you have something to say, just say it.” She choked this out, as it seemed the air had abandoned her.

“I want you to know that I love you, I really do, but…”

“But?” she whispered.

“But we-we can’t…we can’t be together anymore, Lucy.” Sirius’s grey eyes were pained as he said it, put Lucy only felt her own pain as her breathe vanished and her heart broke, shattering inside her.

“Why-what?” she stuttered, tears filling her eyes “You-you don’t really mean…?”