Chapter Eleven ~ Snowy Days

Chapter Eleven

Snowy Days

            Adalyn landed butt first in a large snow drift. She was wearing only her usual skinny jeans, so they were automatically soaked. Standing up, she glared furiously over at the ginger haired twins clutching their stomachs as they laughed at her.

“You think this is funny?” she said, trying to frown, but a smile tugging at her lips “Really? You two are such gits.”

“Don’t be like that Ada!” Fred guffawed, wiping his eyes “It’s just that we’ve never seen you looking so-so-”

“–Un-serious!” finished George, grinning.

“Oh shut up!” she said, no longer able to help the smile. Linking arms and walking between the two, Adalyn thanked her lucky stars once again for friends as good as the twins; she’d only known them for a little over a year, but already she wondered how she’d gone so many years without friends.

“You know Mum still doesn’t know you’ve been staying with us, right?” said Fred.

“And if she found out we’d never see another Christmas?” said George.

“Yeah I know, and don’t worry, I wont tell her. For all she knows, I showed up on your doorstep this morning, not six months ago.”

“Good, because she asks about you incessantly.” George frowned. “And we lie to Mum all the time, but those are innocent-”

“Mostly innocent anyway.” Fred winked at Adalyn and she giggled.

“-and white lies. But she really cares about you –”

“–And considers you an honorary Weasley –”

“–And worries about how you’re doing and whether you’re eating enough and sleeping well and all that dragon dung.”

Adalyn shrugged “I’m doing all that; and besides, I eat better when I’m not with you two.”

“Hey!” Fred said, feigning hurt “Our cooking isn’t that bad!”

“Yeah, and besides, we mostly order in when you’re not there to burn the food.” The twins laughed, though really they wondered constantly where Adalyn went when she disappeared; whether it was for a few days, sometimes it was as long as two or three weeks.

“And Adalyn…” Fred said, glancing at George worriedly.

“…You know you can tell us anything, right?” finished George, wearing an identical worried frown.

“I know, and I do.” Knowing were this was going; Adalyn pulled away, the twins’ arms falling to their sides. “Look, there’s your Mum! Wish me luck.” Winking at her friends, Adalyn walked away from Fred and George, who stood together, watching her go. Mrs. Weasley was waiting at the door, looking frazzled; when Adalyn reached her, she was enveloped in a tight hug.

“Do you think she’s alright, George?” asked Fred.

George shrugged “I don’t know…she seems so sad, Fred.”

“I know, George. I hate seeing her like this.” The twins began to walk towards their childhood home, side by side. They could see Adalyn through the living room window, laughing and hugging their brothers.

“If you think about it though,” said George, frowning “Adalyn’s always seemed sad.”

            Snow fell heavily outside Fred and George’s bedroom window, though it was hard to see since darkness had descended quickly on the Burrow. Sitting in the window seat, Adalyn fiddled with a long piece of string while the twins argued about something to do with their shop; Adalyn was too nervous to listen. Any second now Harry, Ron and Ginny would be arriving, and no one but those four, the twins and Adalyn knew what had occurred in the Kaleidoscope tower this past September.