Ch 1: The Truth Comes Out

A/N: I did a loooot of research on Japanese culture for this story and tried my best to incorporate it into the story accurately. However, some stuff I found had conflicting info so I used what seemed to be the most recent info; some stuff I couldn't find at all so I didn't use it or used my best guess based on all my other research; some stuff only applied to Americans going to Japan and not the Japanese people themselves, so I used the same info, assuming it was also true for them. If you know better in any case of reference you see, please let me know!

Ch 1 The Truth Comes Out

Kyoko takes out her ringing cellphone. "Moshi-moshi, Tsugura-san!" she says with a smile. "What is it?"

"Eto...I was wondering...if you would mind coming to my house for dinner tonight after your final shoot? I have a sort-of belated Christmas/birthday thing for you, since I missed those on my last shoot in the States, and dinner could be a celebration of the end of your successful stint, since I won't be able to make the wrap party. It could also be for me, as selfish as that is, to celebrate the end of my series and my homecoming after all this time. Sort of a multi-purpose party, you might say!" Ren chuckles. Kyoko beams. She had noticed that ever since Guam, Tsugura-san had lightened up considerably, smiling naturally a lot more frequently, and even laughing—her favorite sights and sounds in the whole world. She is grateful his extended stay overseas hadn't brought him back down.

"Of course! That sounds wonderful!" Kyoko exclaims excitedly. "What time should I show up?"

"Is eight ok? I have to go out of town to pick up your gift. That's why I can't go to your wrap party. Oh, and uh...I also have something important to tell you...er, show you, really."

As soon as Kyoko heard, "your gift," her mind went wild and she barely heard the "something to tell you/show you" part. It disappeared into the back of her mind.

"Really? Y-you didn't need to get me anything, Tsuruga-san! I mean...I didn't get you anything!" Ren could instantly tell by her guilty-sounding and whiny voice that she truly felt bad.

"I-I wanted to. It's nothing, really. And I didn't expect you to get me anything when you were busting your butt all this time. But if you really want to do something in return...I'm pretty tired, so perhaps you could cook the dinner?"

Ren could hear Kyoko's grin before she even said a word. "Th-that's right! I can totally do that! I will make a multiple-course celebration meal for you! I promise I won't be late!"

"Well, this will be my first time home in months, and I've had my fill of American food for a while. I'm sure I'll love whatever you make! And I'll need the strength for tomorrow...I mean I only got home just today, and it seems the President already has another project lined up for me. Apparently for you as well, Mogami; he did mention something, but he gave me no details about either of our assignments. But if we both eat well tonight, I'm sure we'll be ready for whatever the President throws our way tomorrow, right?"

"Oh, yes, of course! Certainly! I'm looking forward to it! I'll see you at eight!"

"Actually, if you're going to do the cooking, why don't you leave the wrap party a little early so you will have time to prepare the food? I mean, if you start the cooking at 8, I just might collapse from exhaustion before it even makes it to the table! That won't do, will it? I will leave an extra key to my house with Yashiro-san so you can come in whenever you're ready to start cooking. Does that sound ok?"