Chapter 3: Scene Two

Ch 3 Scene Two

Ko, depressed, sitting in chair:

Himura, apologetic face, approaches Ko: Ko, would you please look at me?

Ko, turning sad face to Himura, speaking softly: Ok, I'm looking at you. What do you want?

Himura, bowing in apology: Ko...I told you the truth because I didn't want to keep secrets from you any longer. I cannot find the words to express my regret enough. Might you consider forgiving me?

Ko, softly: You have injured me far beyond words, Himura. You cheated on me a week before our marriage, and when my sister told me she saw you enter another woman's apartment with her, I asked you about it and you lied to me about it. You only told me the truth about it a week ago, on the very day we were officially joined as husband and wife! I cannot forgive you.

Himura, bowing deeper: How long must I wait for you, my love?

Ko: Forever. Perhaps I could have forgiven you if you had told me then, without the lies. But that is simply impossible now. I would simply divorce you if I could, but you know as well as I do that under Japanese law, a woman cannot divorce her husband for an indiscretion that occurred prior to the marriage. Isn't that why you waited to tell me?

Himura, rising up, surprised face: No. I simply wrestled with my guilt but could not bring myself to tell you...until I signed that paper making me your husband. After that, I knew I had no other choice as a real man who deserves to be a husband.

Ko: You are no real man. And you do not deserve to be a husband.

Himura: Ko, I love only you. I know I betrayed your trust in me, but if you give me one more chance, I promise I will make it up to you.

Himura leaves room, Ko stares blankly with no expression straight ahead.

END SCENE

Ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Kyoko is seated in a chair, looking very sullen and angry, gripping the sides of her chair tightly. Ren approaches her carefully from the front. "Ko...," he says softly, "would you please look at me?" Kyoko looks up, hatred in her eyes, facial features intense, crossing her arms in front of her.

"Ok, I'm looking at you!" she spits. "What do you want?!"

Ren bows deeply in apology. "Ko...I told you the truth because I didn't want to keep secrets from you any longer. I cannot find the words to express my regret enough. Might you consider forgiving me?"

Kyoko coldly glares at him, ignoring his words, for a terribly long and uncomfortable silence.

"You have injured me far beyond words, Himura!" she finally says furiously, then looks away. "You cheated on me a week before our marriage, and when my sister told me she saw you enter another woman's apartment with her, I asked you about it and you lied to me about it. You only told me the truth about it a week ago, on the very day we were officially joined as husband and wife! I cannot forgive you!"

Ren drops to his knees before Kyoko, head down.

That's not in the script! thinks Kyoko. What does he think he's doing?!

--"Director Ogata! That's not in the script!"--

--"Sh! He's ad-libbing! Let's see what he comes up with! And I'd also like to see how Kyoko will react to his abrupt script changes. Keep the tape rolling!"—