Chapter 3- His Confession

"Wilson, it's just me." Maxwell said softly. There was an almost soothing tone in the other's voice. The scientist relaxed some, but not much. Something seemed off here.

"What do you want?" The smaller man asked shakily.

"Did you honestly think no one would see you run out?" Maxwell shook his head, removing his hands from the other's shoulders. "Tut, tut. I expected more from a so-called brilliant scientist such as yourself, Mr. Higgsbury."

Wilson bit his lip. "I just needed to..uh..."

"Don't have a good enough excuse?" Maxwell teased with a smirk. "Might as well be honest, since no one else is here to listen to us. And besides, I won't tell, so just say what you're doing out here, alright?"

Wilson swallowed hard and turned around to face Maxwell, shaking a little but trying to hide it. The taller man had the most ridiculous grin plastered to his face, and for a split second Wilson had the urge to lunge out and slap it off the other's face. However, the impulse was gone as soon as it had  come.

"I left supplies at the area I set up for my experiments." He said as flatly as he could muster.

Maxwell nodded. "Well, alright. While you're here, there was  something I wanted to ask you for myself. Would you mind staying out a little longer?"

Wilson shook his head. He wasn't sure why.

"Fine, but can we walk while we talk? I need those supplies."

Maxwell's smirk changed to a slightly kinder smile and reached into his inventory, producing a grass backpack from it. Wilson took it and gave the other a glare, thinking at first it would be a trap of some sort, like he'd filled every inch of the bag with bees. When he opened it, however, he saw that the bag was the exact same one as the one he'd left at his makeshift camp, containing each and every one of the supplies he'd been set on grabbing.

He opened his mouth to speak but all that came out was a very quiet woah. He looked up at the dapper man.

"How did you...?" But the look on the other's face said that Wilson wouldn't be getting his answer anytime soon.

"Don't worry about it." Maxwell waved off the subject. "But seriously, even though you already have that bag, there is something I'd still like to talk with you about."

Wilson swallowed again, slinging the backpack over his shoulders. "Uh...okay?" Again, something here didn't seem right. Maxwell was being oddly kind to him tonight. That wasn't natural. He would have expected this more from Wendy than from him.

"Right, then. I guess, sit down." The scientist did so, cautiously, in case a tooth trap had been planted specifically under his ass or something by Maxwell. Surprisingly for him, the pain of having countless teeth being driven into his behind never came. Maxwell sat down with him too.

"If you're not going to let your friends in on what's been bugging you," Maxwell said firmly, "Tell me."

For a moment, Wilson was completely frozen. Tell him of all people such a personal thing? Absolutely not. But for some reason he felt like Maxwell could be trusted here. After all, he'd gone through the trouble of getting that bag for him. The least he could do was open up at little.

"Promise me you will never, EVER tell the others." Wilson found himself utter in a dead serious whisper to the other. Maxwell nodded.

Wilson sighed and ran his bruised, calloused fingers through his knotted black hair. He wasn't sure if he was tired, or if he was just sick of holding it all in, but the next thing the scientist knew, he was confiding the secret that had broken his mental health in the man that had given him nothing but hell for an undocumented and unholy amount of time.