Chapter 11- Break and Mend

For a moment, there was nothing but a dead silence in the chasm. Wendy and Webber had disobeyed Maxwell's instructions to look away and had watched Willow stab Charlie with amazement and fear. Everyone else felt about the same way.

Charlie suddenly shrieked with pain. "You brat!" She lunged to grab for Willow's throat, but the other woman was smaller and too fast for her. She pulled the knife out of the wound and swung her foot at her abdomen at full force, the toe of her shoe landing just under the stab wound. The shadow queen groaned in agony and doubled over, the lilac fabric on her dress quickly becoming stained around the area on which she'd been attacked. Surprised by her actions, Wilson stood back with the others, motionless and silent out of shock. He looked over at Maxwell, who was wide-eyed with horror.

'Holy shit.' He mouthed to Wilson.

'Holy shit.' Wilson mouthed back.

Willow seemed unfazed by her actions or by the fact that her hand and shirt now had fresh, rapidly oxidizing blood on it.

"That looks like it hurts." She remarked crudely, gazing down at the wound in her opponent's stomach. Charlie smiled weakly.

"I've had menstrual cramps that were worse." Her voice was faint and scratchy, but there was a highly sarcastic tone to it. Even as she was dying, it appeared that Charlie could still manage to be a sarcastic piece of shit. Amazing.

Wilson winced and made a mental note not to ever poke fun at Willow for her menstrual cycle ever again.

Willow bit her lip, obviously thinking about hurting Charlie again but for some reason deciding against it for the time being.

"Let me tell you something." She snarled. The rapidly weakening woman on the ground made a grab for her ankle with her other hand as a last resort, but Willow swiftly kicked her in the jaw with her other foot, causing her to fall back with a moan of pain. "I don't care who you are, Charlie. You could be the most important woman in the entire damn world, and I'd still hate you. Wanna know why?"

Charlie didn't so much as flinch. Wilson could see she was in quite a bit of pain and was loosing blood fast, but wasn't dead just yet.

"Because you've inflicted misery and suffering upon my brother and his wonderful new companions for years now." She spat, kicking the fallen one in the ribs. "Granted, I'll give you that you gave Wilson friends in the first place. Outside of that, however, you've been absolute shit to them. Treating their lives like they're a part of some sort of game, killing an old woman in cold blood just to watch us turn on ourselves...how dare you! And to say that you can somehow magically bring them back to how their lives were before you fucked them up! Give me a break! You're a corrupt leader, Charlie, driven mad by the shadows! To think Maxwell ever thought anything positive of the likes of you. Disgusting!" She tipped Charlie's chin up to meet her eyes. "I'm not afraid of you, you know. You may be the darkness, but do not forget who the light is."

Wilson was aghast. He had never seen such a cold, relentless side like this to her before. The life she'd lived without him must have hardened her a great deal. Shocked and amazed, he didn't dare to pull his eyes away, morbid curiosity tempting him to see what was to happen next. Willow spun the knife in her hand with her wrist.

"What are you doing?" Charlie asked weakly. Her voice was hoarse and raspy, and her life was fading quickly.

Willow just smiled sweetly and readjusted the grip on the blade.

"Think about it, smart one." She replied in an almost singsong voice. "Wilson, dear, please ensure that the children do not see this."

Wilson's eyes widened and he quickly turned Webber and Wendy away, despite their rather noisy protests. 'Oh, god, Willow.' He thought, feeling himself become nauseous as he turned away a bit himself. 'What's come over you?' He hoped dearly it was lack of sanity and nothing else.