Chapter 1

"No."

His eyes narrowed slightly and he leaned forward, resting his arms on his desk.

"No?"

Grant's voice was tauntingly low. I took my feet off the desk and sat up straighter, staring him down.

"Did I stutter?"

He kept my gaze for a minute, before sitting back and sighing. I watched Grant carefully as he picked up a pen from the table and tapped it on the table; fidgeting was his weakness.

"So, after three years of service, you are refusing to perform an assignment?" He asked, causing me to purse my lips. I shook my head.

"My speciality is hunting down criminals – not becoming a high school student. What did you expect? That I would just jump on the plane, arrive in America and start painting my nails in a sleepover?" I retorted, my eyes glacier. Grant simply put down the pen and rolled his eyes - much to my annoyance.

"Don't be so dramatic, Kayla. You've been on other assignments where you have had to travel - you can go as an exchange student. It's all been arranged; your host family is expecting you later today. Besides, if all goes to plan you can return to Britain after a few weeks." He persuaded, his tone slightly lighter but still tired. My eyebrows shot up.

"A few weeks?" I exclaimed, clenching my jaw. "You'd have to drug me first."

Grant sent me a flat look.

"You've been to the Sahara desert, Kayla - I'm sure you'll survive in America."

He looked up as I growled.

"But remember, you are not going to make friends, alright? Your job is only to track down Cyrus's father - not to become some social dragonfly." He said firmly. I narrowed my eyes.

"Butterfly. It's social butterfly, Grant."

He shot me an amused smile.

"No-one could ever call you a butterfly, Kayla."

I shot him a sarcastic smile, picking up my backpack and stalking towards the door. Just before I slammed it shut, I turned around.

"And Grant?" I called. "Nobody could ever accuse me of becoming social."

I strode away to the sound of laughter ringing in my ears, amusement tugging at my own lips. As I turned the corner to my locker, my grin dissipated.

My assignment.

It was quite simple, really - amateur even. All I had to do was go to America posing as an exchange student, to locate 'Cyrus's' father, who just happened to be a wanted criminal in five different countries.

I would have been insulted by the simplicity if I wasn't so put out.

I placed my hand on the scanner of my locker, waiting until it beeped in acceptance before ripping it open.

I opened my custom-made backpack - provided by the agency - and removed my used equipment, replacing it with a dart gun (harmless, really) a taser, a couple of laser pens, and a few other essentials.

I almost dropped my recording hair grip in surprise when a voice spoke from behind me.

"Going anywhere nice?"

I spun around to face my brother, my face lighting up. He chuckled when I flung myself into his arms, squeezing him tightly.

"Trey! Where have you been?" I exclaimed, earning me a few glares from fellow agents. I ignored them and jumped out of Trey's arms. He grinned.