Old Friend

When the clock struck nine I decided it was safe enough to head out without waking Charlie. I grab the box that holds my past and what was supposed to be my future. I tiptoe down stairs and slowly pull the door too.

I toss the box in the bed of my truck. Cranking the beast I pull out of my driveway and head to our meadow.

"Laurent!" I shout startled, the box that I come to burn sat patiently by the tree on the outside of the meadow, the meadow once covered in flowers but now lies as barren as my heart.

Laurent stalks towards me like a lion with a lamb. How ironic I nearly laugh. "I didn't expect to find you here. I went to visit the Cullen's," Laurent voices the name I am trying to erase "but the house is empty. I'm surprised they left you behind. Weren't you sort of, a ...pet of theirs?" Laurent steps closer sniffing my hair.

"Yeah you could say that." I whimper, but I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of what death entitles.

"Do the Cullen's visit often?" I fight the cringe caused by that name which gives my lie away before I even open my mouth.

Lie Edward growls causing a shiver to run down my spine.

"Yeah absolutely," I lie, "all the time." I look at Ed- him . I know he is a figment of my imagination but my attention to detail is remarkable; the accidental slips in the accent to the deep lines embed in his forehead when angered.

I pause listening to him. Tell him that we visit often. "I'll tell them you stopped by. I probably shouldn't tell..." I take a deep breath "Edward. Cause he's pretty protective."

"But he's far away isn't he?" Laurent takes a step closer causing me to fall back.

"Oops, always the clumsy human." Laurent catches my waist in his tight grip. "Don't worry" he whispers with his mouth nearly touching my neck "it will be quick. I'm doing you a favor actually. Victoria plans to savor you. I on the other hand am just looking for a bite." Bella! Bella run! Edward screams but I welcome it. I am ready.

But the pain never comes. I open my eyes to see Laurents teeth barely grazing my skin, but his eyes are locked on to something behind me. "Release her!" Demands a husky voice.