Chapter Twelve

Valerie's POV:

-5 months later-

My eyes couldn't pull away from my phone. The date was staring at me as if it were a beacon. I blinked, hoping I was dreaming, but unfortunately... I wasn't. I sighed, placing my phone down on my desk. "February 6th..." I breathed out, picking my pencil back up as I tried to concentrate on the drawing in front of me. "Happy birthday, mom..." I whispered to myself, fighting the pain that was cutting into me. It's been almost a year since I last saw her alive. It's been the hardest year of my entire life. As I focused on the drawing before me I noticed I was drawing more and more of how I felt; depressed. I groaned in irritation, ripping the paper off my notebook and throwing it away. These past few months were a struggle for me. I mostly kept to myself; ignoring calls even from Randy. The holidays were torture for me. But I tried my hardest to hide my feelings from those around me. However, when you have people in your life... it makes it hard to hide in your shell.

"It's so nice to see you again, dear." Heather, Randy's mother, said as she gave me a hug. I smiled, placing Oswald on the ground, "It's been a few months' honey, how is work? How are you doing?" She spoke, emphasizing the word 'You.' Before I could even respond, she was speaking once more, "How's Los Angeles? How is that model girl doing, you two getting along?"

"Love, let the poor girl breathe for a moment." I looked over to see Randy's father, sitting down in his favorite recliner with the family dog, Brownie, sleeping peacefully in his lap. "Hello, Valerie." He said with a knowing smile, his glasses slanted on the bridge of his nose as he looked up from the newspaper.

"It's good to see the both of you." I said with a genuine smile, "Thank you for inviting me."

"Oh, of course, you're part of the family," Heather said with a gentle smile. Randy emerged from around the corner, wearing only a towel around his waist. His brother Caleb on his tail, arguing with him about who was going to shower first. I raised my brow, smiling from ear to ear as Heather's voice startled the both of them. "Boys! What on earth are you doing?! Valerie is here!" She yelled, blocking my eyes. I smiled at the silly gesture.

"Jesus Christ!" Randy yelled in response, "You scared the crap out of me, mom!" He frowned, slamming his hand into his chest. "Can you please tell Caleb that I'm next to shower?!"

"You two are still fighting over this?! Caleb! Get in my bathtub right now!" Heather roared, pointing her finger towards the master bedroom. Caleb's face fell quickly, tears running down his face.

"But... But.... Mom! Your bathroom... Valley!" His demeanor changed so quickly the second he saw me. Next thing I knew I was being tackled to the wall by this little five-year-old boy. "I've missed you so much! Where's... Oswald!" He yelled once more, running over to my fur baby. Oswald squeaked with delight as he ran around with the smaller version of Randy.

"Hey, I didn't know what time you'd be coming by. Why didn't you text me back?" Randy asked, standing next to me as we watched Caleb and Oswald play. I rubbed the back of my neck as I looked at Randy. He was still in his towel.

"I don't know. Are you going to take a shower?" I questioned, wanting to change the subject. He gave me a knowing look for a brief second before looking back to Caleb.

"Yeah, I better go before that little shit throws a fit. Wanna go help mom in the kitchen?" He asked, walking around the corner and out of sight. I walked in the kitchen, loving the smell of her home cooking. Thoughts of Heather and my Mother laughing together as they drank a bottle of wine were coming to mind. I frowned, watching Heather lean against the counter with a sadden expression. She had two glasses on the counter, both full.