Four years ago

Kev's red truck was waiting for them, as they exited the hospital. After the news, the nurse had told them politely but dedicated to leave and come back in the morning, to which the Milkovich siblings had started to argue but finally had given in. Lip had just grabbed Ian's arm again and then they left after he had called Kev to pick them up.

"Holy shit what happened?" Kev asked when they entered his car, Lip, Iggy and Ian in the back and Mandy the passenger seat.

"Dad got to Mickey." Mandy answered simply. Lip noticed how she blinked, trying to keep the tears from coming out of her eyes.

"Fuck, 's he okay?!" Kev said, his face full of shock.

"Depends on how you define okay." Lip answered dryly and then added: "He's alive but..."

"Can we just fucking drive!?" Ian interrupted all over sudden.

It was silent as Kev started the truck and they remained so the whole drive home.

Iggy and Mandy were dropped off in front of Milkovich house before Kev headed for their street and stopped in front of the Gallagher home. Ian was out within two seconds and Lip wanted to follow him but Kev held him back. "Wait." He said, "What's up with Mickey?"

Lip sighed before he answered. "Probably gonna be stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of his life."

His favorite neighbor and friend frowned. He could see how Kev's hands clenched around the steering wheel. "I was gonna go see him with Yev next weekend." He murmured but didn't look at Lip. "Yeah?" He was surprised by that. "Why?"

Kev snorted. "Because I want him to know his real dad. He deserves that. Everybody deserves to know their real father. He's got me and V and Lana but still..."

Well, Kev never met his old man but Lip couldn't really say he was happy with his own father.

"Not sure about that. As you know, Frank's piece of shit." He said and Kev smiled weakly.

"Yeah, but Mickey's a good guy."

And even though Lip really wanted to disagree with that, he couldn't.

When he entered the house he wanted to get upstairs and into his room before Fiona would come and ask questions. He made it upstairs and opened his door but his big sister came before he could escape into his bed. "What the hell happened? Why are you coming home at 3:30 in the morning and Ian locks himself in the bathroom? Did you get that drunk? You know he isn't supposed to drink on his meds." She started talking and shooting him her typical 'I'm your big sister and not happy with what you've done' look. He looked her right in the eyes before he said. "No, we're not drunk. We were at the hospital."

Fiona's eyes widened in shock. "What?! Why?"

Lip told her about the events of the night. She looked at him like she didn't really believe what he was saying before she raised one hand to her forehead. He was sure she was thinking the same thing, he had when he found out what happened. Hadn't Ian had enough?

They just stood there quietly in the door frame of Lip's room before he broke the silent.

"I should uhm check on Ian." She nodded.

It took him half an hour to get Ian to open the door. First Fiona had been watching him but left Lip alone when he told her to go and that he would handle it.

Shortly after she disappeared into her room, he heard the lock click and opened the door.

Ian was sitting on the floor, his long legs spread across it, his head leaning against the wall next to the toilet. The faint smell of vomit hit Lip's nose as he entered the room, closing the door behind him. He sat down next to Ian who had closed his eyes. Lip eyed him, trying to find out how much damage the past few hours had done to his little brother. His red hair was tousled and his skin even paler than usual. A dried rest of puke in the corner of his mouth, a shaking cold hand now reaching for his own. Lip took it, holding it tight to stop the shaking. They just sat on the cold floor, for a little while until his butt started to feel sore and he decided they should go somewhere warmer.

"Guess, that night didn't really go the way we planned it." He said, immediately regretting his words. Could he be anymore insensitive? To his surprise a bitter smile appeared on Ian's face. "No." He simply said, his voice raspy and dry. He didn't resist when Lip got a towel, wet it and removed the vomit from his face and he didn't resist either when his brother pulled him onto his feet. As soon as he was standing he seemed like he would just break down if Lip let go of him, so he quickly prepared his little brother's toothbrush and handed it to him, still holding his arm. He knew too well from experience that it was better to get rid of the awful taste, that puking your guts out would cause, as soon as possible.

When Ian was done brushing his teeth, Lip dragged him to his room. He didn't like the thought of letting Ian alone in his own bed, even with Carl and Liam in the room. Right now he wasn't sure what his brother was capable of so he figured it would be better to have an eye on him.

They both changed into sweatpants and tank tops before Lip lifted his blanket and let Ian crawl under it before he got into his bed as well.

Ian turned around, his back facing Lip and coiled up as if he wanted to disappear.

--

Fuck! Why didn't these fucking tears stop rolling down her cheeks. Angrily she wiped them away. The house was cold and quiet when they entered it, just the way it must have been for Iggy for the last four years since every other sibling took off in some way. But pretty new for her. Shit, when was the last time she had been here? About four years ago?

Four fucking years since the last time she saw her brother. And now she would never see him again. Not the brother she left.

"You hungry?" Iggy asked but she shook her head. He went to the kitchen and opened the fridge, looking for something to eat. He always ate when he was upset or worried, like when Terry had beat out the shit out of him again or when mom had died.

When something like that happened Mandy had always gone to Mickey. They had hidden in his room, sitting on the small bed, waiting for the storm to be over.

The tears started running again. "Hey." Iggy said and came back from the fridge. He wrapped his arms around her, a rare gesture in the Milkovich household and the second time he did within an hour. A few minutes passed until he let go of her. "What?" He asked, as she stared at him. "Just surprised that you actually give a shit about your family." She answered and regretted it as soon as she saw the hurt look in his eyes.

"I'm not a piece of shit like dad or my older brothers." He simply answered.

They remained silent for another couple minutes until she said: "It's gonna kill him. If he can't walk anymore, it's gonna kill him."

Iggy nodded. "I know."

Her voice became bitter as she continued: "Having to rely on other people is gonna kill him."

He nodded. "I know."

Because they both knew the last thing Mickey wanted, was to rely on anybody. Especially after the only time he had done and the terrible way he got disappointed.

"So let's hope he'll be able to walk." Iggy said and Mandy clutched at that possibility because it was the only way she would be able to face her brother again.