Ian Gallagher

The following days, Mickey refused to talk, didn't let the doctors nor the nurses touch him. He often had to be sedated so the doctors could treat him properly. Mandy was at the hospital everyday and also Iggy came a couple times to visit. Mickey didn't look at them.

Five days after his arrival and two days before Mandy had to leave for god knows how long, White called her into her office.

"Please have a seat." She said when Mandy entered the room, "Do you want coffee?"

She nodded and then remembered the few manners she got. "Yes, please."

"This is better than the brew from the vending machines down the hallway." White said as she placed a mug in front of her and sat down behind her side of the desk.

"So what do you want to talk to me about?" Mandy asked and sipped at her coffee, shit that stuff was hot but yeah definitely better than the shit she had drunk during the last four days.

White sighed. "Normally I would sit it out. Wait until the patient participates. It's not uncommon for people with permanent injuries to resist treatment for a while, especially if they grew up under circumstances similar to yours. But your brother needs someone to be there for him, to help. He has a rough time ahead of him and as far as I know you will have to leave soon. It doesn't seem like Iggy can be here often."

"My brother doesn't need anybody. Never really has." Mandy responded because she knew White was right and she also knew she wouldn't get more time from her boss.

"Everybody needs someone. Particularly in his situation. Is there anyone else who could help him through this?"

"Not really." Mandy answered and tried not to sound scoffing.

"Any friends?"

Mandy shook her head.

"I assume he's not in a relationship?"

She had to hold back a bitter laugh as she heard that.

"No. But he has a son." Mandy said, clenching her hands around the warming mug.

White's eyes widened in surprise. "Really?"

"Yeah. His mother and him aren't together anymore. Complicated story."

"How old is he?"

"Five." Tears started burning in the corners of her eyes.

"Mickey must have been quite young when he was born. Do they know each other?"

"Mickey was nineteen when Yevgeny was born. The last time he saw him, Yev was one year old. Mickey was thinking about leaving after getting out, leaving everything behind." She didn't know why she told White but she felt like she could actually trust the doctor. Maybe she just needed someone to talk to. Someone who would listen to all the shit her family had been through and wouldn't judge because somehow she knew that White wouldn't do that.

"What about his son?"

"I asked him that too, but he thought that Yev would be better off without him. Said that he barely knows him and didn't want to crash into his life when he can't even remember his dad. But actually I think Yev's the reason why he wasn't sure about his decision to leave Chicago."

White sighed again. "So there really is nobody else who could be with him?"

Mandy tightened her grip around the mug that was getting cold. "No."

And White closed the binder in front of her and stood up when she said: "Not anymore."

The doctor looked at her, a sad smile on her face. "Well I hope I see you around soon then." She said and opened the door.

--

Nina White buried her head in her hands. She was tired and hungry but she still had 12 hours until her shift was done. After a glance at the clock she decided it was time for another attempt with Mickey. His sister had left two days ago and his brother had been here for two hours yesterday. He still refused to participate in his treatment, didn't speak to anyone.

She sighed and stepped into the hallway that was filled with doctors and nurses running around, so many that she almost didn't see the guy standing at the counter at the entrance of her section. He looked a little bit lost and nurse Mary was not behind the counter as she was supposed to be so Nina made her way up to him.

"Can I help you?" She asked as she reached him. She eyed him. He was about six feet tall and had green eyes but the most remarkable thing about his appearance was his red hair.

"Yeah, I'm looking for Mickey Milkovich." He answered, nervously tapping one finger on the counter next to him. She had known that there was someone else, someone Mandy had refused to tell her about. The question was why.

"What's your name?"

"Ian Gallagher."

"Gallagher? You're related to Lip Gallagher who was here about a week ago?"

"Yeah, I'm his brother."

"So you're also a friend of Mickey?"
The answer she got was something between nodding and head shaking.

She knew technically she would have to ask Mickey if he wanted to see this Ian, since he wasn't part of his family but she decided to let him in without asking. She got the feeling that Mickey would say no but at the same time she thought there had to be a reason why this guy had waited so long before he came here and maybe he was actually able to help him.

"Well, then follow me, please." She said and started walking. He followed. "I'm Dr. White by the way. Mickey's doctor." She explained as she guided him to room 314. Mickey was still alone in his room. After years of dealing with all kinds of patients she got the feeling that the last thing he needed was a chatty roommate. He needed someone who knew him to get him out of his shell and she was sure that the red head, Ian, and Mickey knew each other very well. Still she didn't know if her idea was going to work out.

"Do you know about Mickey's condition?" She asked, her hand on the door handle. He nodded. "Mandy told me."
"Okay." She replied and opened the door, "Here he is."

Fuck, she would kill for knowing how Mickey would react to his new visitor. If he would react but she gathered herself and ran as the beeping of her pager told her to do.