Out

It was ten thirty in the morning when Ian arrived. He looked happy and scared both at the same time, looking forward and afraid of what would happen.

"Hey, Ian", She greeted, "How are you?"

"Nervous to be honest", he answered and smiled weakly.

"Who wouldn't be", she mumbled so quietly that Ian probably didn't hear it. She reached into the pocket of her lab coat and took out the bottles with pills she had prepared earlier.

"These are pain relievers" she said holding the first one up, "In case he is in pain, he needs to take one pill with liquid. No alcohol, not for swallowing nor with the medication in his system. And not more than three pills a day."

"Okay", Ian said when she handed him the bottle.

"And here we have the meds for blood dilution. Like I said they prevent a thrombosis."

She rattled down the list with all the different pills for Mickey and gave them to Ian who put all the containers into his backpack.

"We talked about everything else, right?", she asked which caused him to roll his eyes and answer: "Yeah, like ten times."

"Well, if you have any questions, just call me you have my card. Same goes for Mickey of course. I'm telling you because he won't call if there's a problem and you know that, so please try to get him to call me if you feel he should."

"Will try."

"Okay", she said and they made their way to Mickey's soon to-be ex-room.

Mickey was sitting in his wheelchair and looking at his phone when they entered. He looked up and she saw a small smile appear on his face when he spotted Ian.

"Well, I'll see you when you head out", she said before she left them alone. She turned left to walk down the hallway when a movement in the corner of her eye caught her attention. There were windows in the walls next to the doors of the different rooms that allowed to see inside. It was mostly for the doctors and nurses to be able to always check on the patients. Of course you could put down the blinds if you didn't want people peeking in your room all the time. Mickey's blinds had always been shut since he was definitely someone who liked to have some privacy. But today he had opened them, probably in the process of getting all his stuff and putting the room back into it's original shape so she saw what was happening in this room.

Ian picked up Mickey's bag that contained all the things that had somehow found their way out of Mickey's home and inside the hospital. Then he walked to the windows and checked if they were closed while obviously speaking with Mickey although she couldn't hear them.

And then he went back to Mickey who was still in the same spot, but now looking at Ian instead of his phone and he bent down until his face was in front of Mickey's and he kissed him. Wait, what?

She almost dropped her pager that she had pulled out when it had started beeping. Jesus, how had she been so blind?! Mickey and Ian weren't just best friends. They were in a relationship. She should have noticed way earlier but she was shocked. She hadn't seen it, although it had been kind of obvious. But on the other hand she had never seen someone fit the gay stereotype less than those two, especially Mickey. She knew she shouldn't watch this private moment between them, but she couldn't tear her eyes away. They were so... gentle. Something she rarely saw when it came to Mickey. Both had closed their eyes and Ian cupped his hand around Mickey's neck as they were kissing slowly. It wasn't just a peck on the lips but neither was it making out. It was a kiss that screamed true love and she knew that sounded drippy as fuck but she couldn't describe it differently.