Part 14

Chapter 14:

We stepped off the plane and were immediately hit with wet, blustery weather. Sleet cracked into us, far worse than the flaky white snow falling back in Montana. We were on the East Coast now, or well, close to it. The queen’s court was in Pennsylvania, near the Pocono Mountains, I had been there several times, and even had worked there for a few years before being moved to St. Vladimir’s.

The runway we’d landed on was part of the Court’s property, so we were already behind wards. It was just like the Academy’s small landing strip. In fact, in many ways, the Royal Court was laid out exactly like the school. It was what they told humans the compound was, actually. The Court was a collection of buildings, beautiful and ornate, spreading across well-tended grounds adorned with trees and flowers. At least, the land would be adorned with them when spring came, like I remembered.

We were met by a group of five guardians, all dressed in black pants and matching coats, with white shirts underneath. They weren’t uniforms exactly, but custom usually dictated that for formal occasions, guardians wear some sort of nice ensemble. By comparison, in our regular outfits: jeans and T-shirts, our group looked like somebody’s poor relations.

The guardians immediately looked in Alberta’s and my direction. Nodding before going through the regular formalities, which after everyone became relaxed and friendly. We were all eager to get in out of the cold, our escorts led us toward the buildings.

I took a deep breath of the air, it smelt just like it did so many years ago, before my friend died and I was sent to the Academy. And it made me wonder if the air here smelt like this all the time. I tried picturing a dome placed carefully on top of the Court so that whatever was produced inside never got out and visa versa.

I let my thoughts wonder off, which isn’t such a bad thing to do here. The Court was the most safest place on Earth for Moroi and dhampir. No one had to worry about Strigoi attacks because it was impossible to get in. Wards were always renewed every few days, verses the Academy where those are redone every couple of weeks.

We were led into a building, just as exquisite on the outside like the other buildings surrounding it, but half the size. One of the guardians explained that this was where all guests and dignitaries traveling in and out of the Court stayed. And the best part of it was that we each got our own rooms.

I stayed in the back of the group once everyone was inside. Partly because I wanted the Moroi to be treated first, but mostly because I wanted to keep an eye on Rose. Even though she hadn’t had an outbreak since we landed, I wasn’t about to let her out of my sight.

Eddie started to protest about the one person to a room thing, adamantly saying he needed to stay with Lissa. I smiled at that, he was going to make a killer guardian one day, and it was all because of that incident in Spokane. I pushed the smell of her blood away as I told Eddie that it wasn’t necessary. In a place like this, guardians didn’t need to stay as close to their Moroi. In fact, they often separated to do their own things. Mainly because of the heavy wards surrounding it. And really, Moroi visitors at the Academy were rarely trailed so closely by their guardians either. It was only for the sake of the field experience that it was being done with us.

Eddie agreed with some reluctance, and again, I was baffled by his dedication to his non-Moroi.

Alberta spoke briefly about what was needed to be done. Stuff I already knew. And then turned to the rest of our group. “Decompress for a bit and be ready for dinner in four hours. Lissa, the queen wants to see you in an hour.”

I’d been watching the girls the whole time so I was able to see the small little jerk of surprise both of them seemed to make at the same time. I didn’t need them to explain to me that it was the bond, I could just tell. And it was starting to freak me out. The both exchanged brief, puzzled looks. And then Lissa looked back over at Alberta.