Chapter Nine

Kara:

            “I can’t believe how big this place is,” Shirelle marveled.

            It wasn’t the first time she said it. The airports in Fresno and Denver were big. The planes were big. Now the La Guardia airport was big. Kara couldn’t wait to see Shirelle’s reaction when she got her first true glimpse of New York.

            “There’s my dad,” Kara said as the girls passed through the gates. “Wonder where Stephanie is.”

            “Kara!” Alex called.

            Since they usually didn’t make such a big deal of her arrivals, Kara suspected her father was just putting on a show for her friend. Still, she let him sweep her into a hug.

            “Welcome, Shirelle,” Alex said, and Shirelle beamed at him. “How was your flight?”

            “It wasn’t too bad I guess,” Shirelle answered. “That was my first time on a plane.”

            “Where’s Stephanie?” Kara asked.

            Alex gave her a sly smile and whipped his cell phone from his pocket. “The girls are here. We’ll grab their luggage and meet you out front.”

            “What was that all about?” Kara asked.

            “Steph’s got the car in the cell phone lot,” Alex explained.

            “The cell phone lot?” Shirelle repeated with a frown.

            “It’s great,” Alex said. “You just park your car there and wait. Then when the person you’re picking up calls you to tell you they’ve landed, you pull the car around front and pick them up.”

            “And why is that great?” Shirelle asked.

            “The cell phone lot is free,” Alex said. “That means you don’t have to pay outrageous fees just for the privilege of parking your car.”

            “I heard that,” Shirelle said.

            “Shirelle, you’re a girl after my own heart,” Alex said, winking at her.

            “Dad,” Kara groaned.

            His attempt to impress Shirelle was so obvious. She was tempted to remind her father they had plenty of money, and there was no need for him to be so cheap, but she let it go.  

Ethan: