Prisoner

"Adrian Mitchell Calvert come get the door!" I sat there for a little bit until I heard Adrian clear his throat. Oh yeah that's me I let out a nervous laugh and went and opened the door.

"What took you so long!" Ok so I'll have to admit when I thought of Adrian's family this is not what I  imagined.

"I'm so sorry mom. I didn't hear you." Everyone walked in ignoring me. "Do I smell cigarette smoke." Oh shit. I never thought about that. She walked up to me and looked me in the eye. I knew she could smell cigarette smoke on me. I really tried to stop but it's so hard.

"Why didn't you do your chores! You are going to clean this entire house and go to your room and not come out unless it's to go to school do you understand me."  I took a gulp.

"Yes ma'am." They all walked in other directions and I just stood there shocked at what just happened. After all this he has to put up with me. I suddenly felt awful. He gets treated horribly at home and then deal with me at school.

I just lowered my head and started cleaning up. I didn't want to look Adrian in the eye. I'm not one for being nice I don't really know how to be. I've only ever known anger.  I guess that's why I don't really have any friends.

I started cleaning up the cigarette butts and taking them outside. As I was down on my knees picking stuff up and throwing it in the trash. I saw a pair of shoes walk over beside me.

I didn't even have to look up to know who it was. I recognized the shoes from wearing them many times. Why did he just have to stand there. I tried to ignore his presence and continued cleaning up.

"Jess...." he said quietly so only I could hear him.

"I'm kinda busy Adrian I have a lot to do." I never did look him in the eye. I felt if I looked at him I would have to talk to him or I would have to apologize , and I just couldn't do that not right now.

"Yeah ok. I'll see you tomorrow at your house to work on the project?"

"Only allowed out for school." I said still not looking at him.

"You're the famous Jess you can get out of anything."

He had a point. There is a tree out side of his window I could climb down, but if she saw I was missing. I'll have to take that risk I guess. Adrian said goodbye and I finished cleaning the house and vacuuming. After I was done I walked up to Adrian's room and laid on his bed. I was exhausted.

"Just to make sure you don't think about leaving I'm going to kick this door." I hadn't noticed Adrian's mother come in but I watched her leave and heard a key click and sure enough when I checked the door it was locked.

I was a prisoner in this house!