[002] Midnight

Gloves knocks gently on the door — a large ebony piece of stone with intricate designs carved into its panels — and waits patiently for Kikyo to allow her in.

Of all the Zoldyck family members, her future mother-in-law is perhaps the one that adores Gloves the most. Ever since Killua announced that they were together two months ago, Kikyo has been nothing but warm and welcoming.

Gloves likes her much more than her actual mother. At least, she didn't feel the need to violently murder her. The Zoldyck who has grown the fondest of Gloves after Kikyo would definitely be Illumi.

Gloves suspects that she was his replacement for Killua while the younger Zoldyck was away. Illumi was cold to her at first, but Gloves thinks that she had finally won him over. Either that, or he's faking it for a prank.

Silva is alright to Gloves; curt and civil, as expected from a father-in-law. The only Zoldyck that Gloves wasn't very fond of — and for reasons unknown to her, hasn't seen very much of — was the computer genius, Milluki. He avoids Gloves like the plague, and hisses at her every time she tried to talk to him. Maybe he was allergic to girls?

"Come in." Kikyo's voice travels through the door, and Gloves enters, keeping her bowed.

"You're late."

"I'm sorry, Madame." Gloves lowers her head further, barely missing the laser that Kikyo fires at her.

"Five minutes... You know what that means."

Gloves nods her head, already feeling her stomach coil in disgust. She walks towards the tea table and extracts the venomous dropper. Wincing, she adds in five additional drops to the already poisoned tea in front of her.

"Drink." Kikyo commands.

Gloves wrinkles her nose, detecting the trace of nightshade in the cup. She didn't like nightshade. She is alright with foxglove, as they shared her name, but nightshade made her feel cold and alone. She swallows the bitter and slightly acidic poisonous tea down, and closes her eyes slightly, feeling faint.

"How goes training?" Kikyo asks, pouring a cup for herself and refilling Gloves'.

"Alright, Madame. I hit nearly 5 of the 8 targets today."

"Hmm. I see." Kikyo says, her brows furrowing. "Make sure you improve. The actual trial is no joke. One mistake and you'd be dead ten times over."

She drips another three drops of the poisonous elixir into Glove's tea cup, the violet swirls seemingly so innocent and pure.

"Drink."

After two more cups, Gloves hit her limit. One of the butlers nearby rushes over with a bucket, catching Glove's vomit laced with blood.

"Better. This is one more cup than last week."

Gloves grins weakly. "Thank you, mo- Madame."

Kikyo nods, pleased with the results and then waves a hand for Gloves to leave.

Gloves gathers herself up and bows once more before letting the cold and looming doors shut behind her.

She returns to her own room, simply furnished with a bed and a desk for writing. Gloves couldn't help it, after so many years living in jail, she's used to living with minimal belongings. One lone shelf above her desk holds all the souvenirs that Killua has sent back.

Only, he doesn't send much. When he left her to rejoin Gon, he gave her a simple platinum band, which Gloves wears strung on her neck. Other than that, he wrote her a single letter -- weeks back -- saying that he and Gon had gained qualifications to enter this game called "Greed Island".

Gloves sighs, sitting on her bed and looking up at the dim moon; the crescent's shine was muted by smoky clouds as they billowed across the midnight sky. She wonders if they were looking at the same moon, because there is no way Killua wouldn't contact her if they are on the same plane.

The stars twinkled mischievously against the inky black fabric, and Gloves smiles. No matter what, she'll wait for him.

Gloves will wait for Killua to come home to her.

|::|

A/N: lel let's have a slightly more serious chapter now.

So the first few chapters will just go over Glove's training while having some flashbacks to introduce and round out the Zoldyck family. Hopefully, you're entertained ^^"

Killua will return sometime after the 5th Chapter (I think)

lol I never plan my stuff out so we're guns have to see

BTW; some questions

: what did you all think about Spork?

: are the chapters too short? I didn't want to write another 1k story, but its better than 200 words a chapter? lol idk gimme opinions

: How's the story?

vanitea-