[004] Noon

A rather uneventful breakfast passes, with Gloves only eating the smallest of cucumbers in an effort to "slim down", as Kikyo put it. Gloves frowns, her stomach grumbling loudly in protest as she exits the dining hall.

"Ah... I should go look for Spork, he'll help distract me..." She mutters quietly to herself. She breathes out, and in a quick and fluid motion, transfers her nen so that it is focused in her eyes.

Spork, as Gloves had discovered when she first found him, was not an ordinary beetle. He was, in fact, a very rare species of nen-beast. Gloves had seen the species only once, in her father's notebooks. The beetle were an elusive species and possessed great powers of the lighting nature, their only deterrent was that they matured extremely slowly and were physically inept; to her knowledge, Spork was the only one of his kind remaining. Once fully developed, a single beetle would in fact be capable of: calling and controlling up to but not limited to three acres of thunderstorm; producing currents that go up to a record of 20 amps, and generating enough electricity to power the City of YorkNew for a week. The sad truth of the matter was, Spork was only an infant, and was on his death-bed had Gloves not found him.

As a fellow electric-affinity nen user, Gloves can see the traces that Spork left behind in his wanderings around the Zoldyck estate. She quickly picks up his trail and follows it, down the corridor that Kikyo had steered her away from every time they passed it. Gloves fights off a wave of fear as she turns down the corridor, but she couldn't help but wonder: was there something that Kikyo was keeping from her?

Further down the hall, the lights dim and flicker briefly. Gloves looks around, startled. There is a door that seemed out of place. Before she even is aware of what she is doing, Gloves places her hand on the cold smooth metal and leans her ear against the door. Inexplicably, she hears something through the solid and heavy metal door. It's the sound of a child weeping, and the sound triggers something deep within the recess of Glove's brain. A memory, a flicker of darkness and pain that Gloves hurries to wipe away. She backs away from the door in surprise and feels a snap. A bond of sorts that shatters mercilessly as Gloves shakes her head, clearing it of any distractions.

She ignores the door, ignores the pull from it — a sweet siren call that sings to her every nerve, every cell. Her pace picks up, and she reaches the end of the corridor, where Spork is coiled into a ball, sleeping peacefully.

Gloves picks him up, sighing softly. Spork stirs against her touch and blinks at her with wide and innocent eyes.

"Don't come down this hallway again..." Gloves whispers to him, cradling Spork against her as she hurries past the mysterious door.

"Kikyo will kill you if she finds out you've been here."

Gloves jumps, shoving Spork behind her back as she turns to face the person that spoke. It is Milluki, and he is staring at Gloves as if he had just seen a ghost.

"Why? What's in that door?"

Milluki pauses, hesitation clear on his face. Gloves stares at him, her periwinkle contacts imploringly begging for answers. Milluki looks away first, his teeth chattering nervously.

"It's not what's inside that you should ask..."

Gloves understood, she repeats her question.

"Who is inside?!"

Milluki gives her a helpless smile.

"I can't tell you that."

Footsteps echo down the hallway. From their pattern, Gloves deducts that it is Kikyo.

"Just. The Zoldcyk has a lot of skeletons that are better left in the closet. Be careful."

Before Gloves could ask further, Milluki turns away and all but runs in the opposite direction of his mother.

"Gloves!" Kikyo's sharp voice cuts across the air as she stares at the red-haired girl.

"Madame." Gloves greets her politely.

"I was just looking for you, what a nice coincidence!" Kikyo smiles, holding a hand out to Gloves.

"Come, sweet little thing. Killua has sent something for you."

|::|

A/N: Hai readers~! I entered Petrichor and only Petrichor for this years's Hunter x Hunter Wattys =w=

When voting time comes around, I'll be v.happy for your support ^o^

As always,