Chapter 16

I wince as another stick snaps beneath my foot on the damp forest floor. Even though there is no one around, I can't help but feel like I have to be on alert. Every shadow either looks like a bounty hunter or a Vipera wraith ready to strike. I'm not eager to see either of those.

I have already given up on calling Amelia's name since the only answer I get is from the trees. Their leaves rustle in the dark canopy, whispering like lost souls trying to find their way.

I have never liked the woods.

Hiding in the city is much easier than wandering in this forest with unfamiliar shadows. There at least I know who lurks in the darkness- and often the most dangerous thing is me. The forest, on the other hand, is alien. The whole wood is one huge, breathing monster. Life can be found under every pebble and in every bush, and the pines themselves seem to be watching. This is where the predator becomes the prey.

An all too familiar feeling finds it's way into my subconscious:

Fear.

A feeling I can't afford to have.

Over the years I have learned to hide it. But even so, I can't escape it. No one can. Fear is like a lion stalking its prey, waiting for the right moment. Once you let your guard down it pounces, going for your throat. You can choose to yell and thrash as the talons sink into your flesh, clawing at all your remaining hope, or you can suffer in silence.
But even when the attack is over, the feeling lasts.

You can hide it, no man can avoid it.

Reality comes flooding back and I try to stay focused on the task at hand. I have been out here for more than an hour and have had no luck in spotting her.

Damn it, Keath. Why did he have to overreact like that?

What if something happened to her? I can't stand the thought of her getting hurt. And if she does, I will hold Keith personally responsible. I still can't believe he would explode like that because of such a small thing. Even Fletcher didn't lash out. But I guess you can't expect less from someone like him.

As kids, he was always the favorite. Even my father took his side whenever he wasn't busy drowning his sorrows. Keath, the perfect little boy, dreaming of becoming a knight.

I take a good look around me, as good as possible in the dim moonlight. I'm pretty sure I have walked past that tree at least twice. I give a deep grunt of annoyance and slump against the tree, not caring if I squish an unsuspecting spider in the process.

To think I'm the one who told him about the recruitment in the first place.

If only I knew. 

I sit for a while, listening to the sounds of the night and trying to ignore the bitter cold. It's a lullaby. The breeze, the crickets and the occasional cry of an unknown animal all weave together like a disorganized symphony. I didn't realize how tired I am. In one night I sabotaged a bunch of guards, stole a caravan, got chased along the side of a cliff and dealt with Keath's outburst. And now I am wandering blindly through the forest with no idea how I am going to find Amelia. Tough day. 

I take out the weapon I took from the barracks. The long blade is perfectly polished and without a scratch. It has probably never seen battle. I catch a glimpse of my reflection. My eyes almost match the emeralds on its hilt. The color of jade... I guess my mother had some sense of humor.

My face is tired and dirty. But honestly, I don't care anymore. No matter what I do or how I look, people will always see a thief. Even if I took a bath and dressed up like a castle lady, they will only ever know the face they see on the wanted posters. Pardon or no, people won't care.