Chapter 15

I've just placed the empty bag of wrappers from the food Luca had delivered to me in the bin when I spot Julia getting up from her desk and walking into my office. She's carrying an A4 sized brown envelope and smiles at me when she approaches.

"This came for you while you were out." She hands the envelope to me and I remove my glasses before taking it from her. "It's from someone who said they worked for Cheryl."

"I see." I nod and begin to open the envelope. "Is there anything else I can do for you, Julia?"

"Nope. Nothing." I look at her from under my lashes and she silently excuses herself before walking back to her desk.

I pull the contents from the envelope and look at them. Two of the items are in white envelopes – one blank and the other with my name inscribed in fancy black writing – and the items are copies of different pictures with a bright orange sticky note placed on the front of them with a note writing in black ink.

Kaylee,

I have made my final decision

on everything your assistant has

sent me and these are my choices.

Speak soon,

Cheryl

X

I skim through all the papers and nod in agreement with her. They are the exact choices I would have picked if I had more time to go through everything like I normally do. Everything from the floral arrangements to the food and drinks selections would work for even the fussiest of eaters.

She has good taste but seeing as I'm in complete agreement with her over everything here, I'm going to take the credit for this one hundred percent. I've got good taste and it's such a sigh of relief to know everything is coming together slowly but surely.

I've had Julia confirming things with different suppliers, most recently the equipment hire this morning while I finalised the guest list. Anton, who sits across from Julia, has even come on board with helping us out with confirming the plans.

I'm grateful he's offered to help but I think it has to do with Jackie finding out about the pressure I'll be under to get everything in place. Or it could be the fact that Anton's boss, Oscar, is off on holiday for another week and he's done everything that's been left for him to do until he returns. It may be a mixture of both but I'll not refuse any help if it's offered to me in the coming days.

I place the papers to the side and pick the white envelopes up. I open the blank one and smile at the sight of the finalised invitation which was the least stressful thing I've had to organise since agreeing to take on Cheryl's event.

As per Cheryl's request, it's been kept simple stating only the date, time, location and what guest attire should be for those attending. Everything is written in simple white writing for everyone to read on the black glossy card which fades to white as it reaches to the right side of the card. Almost like a night sky fading into brightness with stars spaced here and there across it all. The reverse side is plain white but with the letters J and N intertwined together in black.

I smile to myself at how it turned out but seeing the letters on the reverse side has me thrown me somewhat. I don't remember discussing that part with Cheryl but it must have something to do with her boss so I'm not going to question it.