Chapter 020

Author's note

I made a promise to myself when I first began as a writer, and that was to never quit until I was done, to never leave a story in the middle without ending what I started. And I intend to keep that promise. It's been tough I'll be honest, I'm losing my motivation as an author. Writing use to be fun but now it seems like a chore.

Please don't judge this chapter's horrible writing skills. It's usually me writing at 5am in the morning. Short chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stepped off stage and sat down beside the Vice President who looked less paler than before, the colour of his cheeks were finally returning. My mouth went dry as I ignored the heavy feeling in my chest that was weighing me down. He came today. My father actually came to the school festival.

Now this was something I never expected. He was usually always busy with his company to bother with my school events; he only ever cared about my academic scores and that was it. I was insignificant in his eyes, just a spawn to lead his company after him. To say the least, he probably didn't remember my birthday nevertheless a school festival that was promoted through flyers and a single email.

I'm silently drowning in a room full of people yet none notice I am about to take my last breath.

"Sunmi, are you okay?" It was only then when I freeze up completely at the sound of my name and remember where I am, who I'm suppose to be.

My lips curve up into a subtle smile as I pretend that I'm okay. "Yes? Oh Hana, how may I help you?" Hana's face contoured with annoyance as she flicked a strand of orange away from her face. I didn't even realise she moved to the seat beside me.

"Cut the crap. I saw the bastard walk into the room. Believe me, give me the word and I'll crack his skull with a chair." She cracked her knuckles and gestured her hands towards a chair close by. That was something both admirable and scary — the way she was nonchalant and ready to protect me.

I rolled my eyes at her, feeling the heaviness in my shoulders lift. Elbowing her, I scoffed, "shut up dumbass. Don't cause a scene. I can wipe my own ass and deal with him on my own." A lie, nevertheless it was something I wished I could do by myself.

Hana chuckled and grinned. "You know one day superwoman, you're gonna have to let me help you. Or else how is your sidekick ever gonna learn?"

I lifted the my lips into a smirk before crossing my right leg over the other. "I'll let my sidekick learn the day she keeps her pants on when a guy comes around. So then I guess that would be never." I mocked her, only earning a shrug in return.

Once the principal finished their speech, everyone was instructed to head back to their classroom to begin the fair part of the school festival. So everyone except from my class left, leaving us to prepare for our play that was in one hour. Minwoo had actually prepared everything well and needless to say, I was impressed. I had actually predicted this entire thing to be a disaster, seeing as everyone had completely ignored Minwoo at the beginning.

I ended up on makeup and hair preparation, since I was barely there for practises. So when Areum took a seat in front of me, I sort of wanted to wear ear buds or scream.

I looked around the room quickly and felt that something was wrong. Everyone looked normal but there was something wrong .

I just couldn't tell.

Areum glared at me as she flicked her hair back. "Don't you dare make me look ugly on purpose Sunmi." I stopped myself rolling my eyes and insulting her back.