The Prologue

Thin lips painted in soft shades of pink were pursed together tightly as unbecoming twin splotches of red showed through the pale foundation and light blush that had been carefully applied earlier to her fair cheeks. A single white rose was clutched tightly in her hand, the faint cheers of students and parents alike behind her now. Eventually, even that faded away as she hurried across the parking lot to her husband's truck. Leaning against the hood was a familiar, uninvited figure.

Dark purple lipstick coats a pair of plump lips, the shade matching the short dress that the other woman wears. Her lips are pulled into a smirk, white teeth almost blinding against the dark lipstick. Her skin is pale as the first winter snow, deep blue eyes glaring back as a mixture of amusement and rage swirls in their icy depths. Neither of them speaks, both wait for the other to make the first move.

Finally, the silence is shattered.

"Ellie is nearly eighteen now, isn't he?", she asks, that damned smirk still present. "How much does he know, Suzy? What all have you told him of his distant aunt who lives in California?", she continues, eyes narrowing as she interrogates her younger sister.

"Elliot knows of your existence, and that is all he needs to know.", Suzy replies quietly, her voice as tight as her grip on the rose. "You should leave, Daniel and I don't want you to ruin his night.", she said, staring back at her older sister defiantly.

"Oh pish-posh, as though I would ruin my favorite nephew's graduation night!", she exclaimed, scoffing at the thought. "I came to deliver his graduation gift. I won't leave until he gets it, you know.", she added. Suzy sighed softly, remembering her older sister's dogged determination with a hint of disdain.

"I'll deliver it for him. You won't be allowed to see him, he already follows your lifestyle far too much.", she finally replies, feeling rather generous with her compromise. A tense silence follows this offer, then a small, intricately carved box is shoved into her hands. The white rose is snatched away as Suzy fumbles the box, nearly dropping it in her surprise. Before she can even protest or ask of the contents of the box, her older sister is walking back to one of those sleek, electric cars.

Suzy suddenly realizes that it has been idling in the parking lot this entire time, and notices with a twinge of anger that there's a sickeningly familiar silhouette waiting in the passenger's seat. Her sister and the other person drive away quickly, the only evidence of their presence a small cloud of dust and the color quickly fading from Suzy's cheeks. She hurries back inside, carrying the box carefully to be delivered to her oldest child. The deafening silence from before is drowned out by the loud sound of hundreds of people talking excitedly.

Suzy makes her way through the crowd, only relaxing when gentle blue eyes meet hers. Elliot doesn't ask about the box, and for that she is thankful. He is too insistent upon going home so he may have supper and then sleep, and she was more than willing to oblige in his request. Anything for her baby boy, she thought. Absolutely anything...

At long last, I have finally gotten around to writing this novel! I really hope that you all enjoy it, as I am having fun writing it. Leave any comments, criticisms, or concerns you may have in the comments. I plan to publish two new chapters every month, at least, though I might be restricted to only one a month sometimes. Anyways, please enjoy the summer adventures of a teenage boy!