Chapter 6

For the next few days, Nelson was barely in his room - or her room now, since he didn't sleep there either. He brought food the first few times and seemingly dropped off the face of the earth. But it didn't really matter, as by then she was well enough to drag herself out of bed and find the kitchen. 

Due to the largeness of the place, it was a challenge, but she soon found the well stocked, but lonely, kitchen. It seemed to be enclosed in some sort of private sector of the pack house, but for the first few days, Clara didn't have very much energy other to go from the bed directly to the kitchen and back. 

After the third day of seemingly perpetual loneliness, she hauled herself off of the bed and pulled on a pair of Alpha Nelson's boxers and a t-shirt. He didn't leave her many options, and she'd rather go out into the house somewhat dressed than stark naked. Clara stood, leaning heavily against the bed post for support. Her bones still felt weak, and it took her a little bit to recover. 

The first thing she noticed about the place was it's silence. There were about two more guest bedrooms, each kept as clean as the rest of the house. The kitchen had a bar that could easily seat ten, and a dining room that could probably seat a large sized family. The living room was large too, decked out with a nice flat screen TV and a comfortable couch. 

It was beautiful, for sure, but it lacked the touch of being a home. If she had to guess, it would seem like an AirBNB rent out suite, one that would cost a few million dollars per night. 

Clara's progress was slow. Walking down stairs caused a dull soreness to shoot up her legs, and every so often she would need to huff and lean against the bland white walls. She cursed at her body, unused to the lack of speed and agility. 

She sighed, slowly putting pressure on the handle of the next door to make as little noise as possible. But to her surprise, the door was locked unlike the other ones. Just when she was about to leave, the door swung wide, Nelson at the other end with a nasty scowl on his face. She unintentionally cowered under his gaze before straightening up and keeping up her confident facade. 

"What are you doing here?" He brushed past her, heading towards the kitchen. 

"Oh uh," She peeked through the door, glimpsing at the area. It was an office, with files lining up all against the back wall and a heap of papers stacked in front of a desktop computer, "I was exploring." Surprisingly, Clara felt a twinge of guilt at the admittance. Nelson didn't give his consent to allow her to snoop around, and even if the thought of him birthed a bitterness in her chest, she still felt some wrong doing at invading the privacy of her host.

Nelson nodded, pulling out a mug from the shelves, "You need to rest." 

"I rested." 

"You need to rest more," He said, "It's tiring, especially after-" He paused, "after you're put in a tough situation." 

That was putting it gingerly, she thought, who put me in there in the first place? And why do you even care? 

Clara didn't want to sound like an ungrateful brat, or maybe she had a right, the situation was complicated now, "Well, there is not much for me to do." 

Nelson paused, "You can't do much right now." 

"Do you have anything in which I could do?" I slowly approached him, hesitant. This was one of the first actual conversations I was having with him, certainly not something I had thought would've occurred if you asked me a few months ago. A few months ago, the only conversation I wanted to have with him was with his dead body. 

Nelson shrugged, seemingly unaffected by my plight, "There's a library," He gestured at the remaining part of the flat that Clara hasn't explored yet. To be entirely truthful, she hasn't read in quite a long time and didn't have any keen interest in picking up books again.