Kyo x Tohru

Seeing her once was enough.

She'd brightened his day, one clumsy motion was all it took. And he didn't even believe in love at first sight.

"Kyo, don't make that face, you'll get wrinkles." Kazuma Sohma chided, pinching the boy's cheek with his uninjured arm as he flashed a mischievous grin. Kyo's eyes kept falling on the bulky cast at his master's side. He gulped.

"I can't believe you're cracking jokes when you almost died."

"Stop being so dramatic, it was just a little hill." brushing off Kyo's morbid comment, Kazuma gestured nonchalantly in a manner that reminded Kyo a bit too much of Shigure.

"It was a ravine, Shishou! You have to be more careful, or I swear to god I'll--"

"E-excuse me." His rant was interrupted by a soft voice. Kyo glanced behind him to see a young nurse in the doorway, carrying a tray. As soon as they locked eyes, her face began to flush. What's she all embarrassed for?

"I'm v-very sorry to intrude. Sohma-san, I have your wa-- waaaah!"

"Ack!" In a spectacular display of clumsiness, the nurse managed to trip over her own feet and send both herself and the contents of the tray flying directly at Kyo. Acting on instinct, he reached for her and held both her arms, praying that he wouldn't transform and that she wouldn't faceplant directly into the tile.

Time seemed to stand still as Kyo opened his eyes. The nurse was staring, wide-eyed, back at him. A part of him that seemed lost to childhood wondered, for an instant, if this was the first time he was seeing her face. He couldn't look away. Couldn't blink, even. She returned his gaze, silently spellbound. Still gripping her arms, he noticed she was trembling slightly.

Finally remembering how to breathe, Kyo gasped. "Are... you okay?"

The nurse snapped to attention, "I'msosorryI'msosorryI'msosososososorry!"

Kyo stared at her in wonder as she bowed repeatedly. "Um, the tray--" he stammered.

"The tray!"The nurse scurried to pick up the rogue equipment, muttering apologies all the while. When she reached the water cup, she took a long look at it for a second, her gaze traveling from the spilled water to a soggy Kyo. "Oh gosh, you're soaked!"

"It's fine--"

"Hang on, I have a handkerchief!" Manically, the nurse pulled the hankie from her pocket and darted over to Kyo. "Hold still, okay?"

"Hey, wai--" as soon as she touched him with the soft cloth, Kyo went silent. He couldn't help but stare at her, brow knit in concentration as she mopped the liquid from his arms and chest. She was so serious. So determined. Cute. Kyo suppressed a smirk.

"Oh, you've got a little water here," The nurse tentatively reached for the bridge of Kyo's nose. He held his breath. "Got it."

"Well, well, well. Tohru-san, I think I need you around more often."

Ah, crap, Shishou. Kyo had completely forgotten his presence, and he flinched at the sound of his master's voice.

"Sohma-san?" Tohru questioned.

"You see, it's the quietest he's been since we came here." 

"Hey, shaddap, old man!"

Tohru smiled, a warm, sunny thing that made Kyo feel lighter than air. He turned away, hoping she wouldn't notice the redness in his cheeks.