Chapter 7 - Finally getting it right

Harry couldn't sleep. He laid there, with Louis laying half on top of him, head on his chest and snuggling into his neck. Harry had a tight grip around his back and couldn't get himself to loosen it. When Louis had called him last night, he didn't even have to think about what he would do. He could hear it in Louis' voice, could hear that he wasn't far away from breaking down. And now here, with Louis in his arms, he couldn't help to think about how right this felt. He didn't know how he managed to live without Louis in his life for so long.

When Louis had texted him a few days ago, that he and Danielle had broken up, Harry couldn't help but be relieved. He knew why, obviously. And Louis did tell him that he wanted to break up with her, so Harry didn't even have to pretend to be shocked about it. He just texted Louis back 'are you okay?' and after receiving an answer from Louis 'yeah. she took it really well. I feel lighter now, somehow.', he was really happy for him. And maybe also for himself.

He tried not to let himself hope too much, to save himself from another possible heartbreak, but he also knew, that he already was in far too deep again. He knew that he wouldn't be satisfied with Louis only as a friend, no matter how close they are. He needed him in every way. Maybe he was selfish, but he couldn't help it. It was Louis, after all.

~~~

When Harry woke up, he was alone in Louis' bed and panicked for a moment, until he heard soft voices talking downstairs, one of them definitely Louis', the other one most probably Lottie's. He couldn't get himself to get up right away, so he snuggled into the pillow, pulling the duvet up to his neck. The bedding smelled so much like Louis, what was really not helping Harry to keep his cool. He grabbed Louis' pillow and held it in his arms, cuddling it close to his front, as some kind of compensation for Louis' missing body.

He must have drifted off again because the next thing he noticed, was the mattress dipping behind him and someone softly stroking his hair.

"Mhhrpf," he tried to get his body to work, stretching his limbs slightly, as well as pushing into the touch at the same time.

"Morning, gorgeous. Did you sleep well?" Louis asked.

Harry's heart started beating a little faster hearing that nickname, only Louis had ever called him that. He turned around, rubbing his eyes to get the sleep out of them and then blinked them open to look at Louis, who was still wearing Harry's sweater.

"Yeah, I did."

Louis' answering smile was radiating, he seemed to be in a good mood this morning.

"I'm glad. I'm sorry about dragging you here so later yesterday. But I really like to have you here, I'm not gonna lie." Louis seemed a bit embarrassed, and no, Harry couldn't have that.

"No, Lou. As I said yesterday, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. If you need me, I will be there. You know that. I like being here. I like being with you." Harry hoped he didn't give too much away with those words, but he really needed Louis to get it.

"Okay. Thank you. I like you being here, too." Louis smiled.

"Come on, lay down with me for a little longer. Or do you have to be anywhere?" Harry asked, pulling the duvet up and opening some space for Louis.

"No, I don't. Alright." Louis grinned and stripped his bottoms and Harry's jumper off, joining Harry under the duvet.

He immediately got himself into the same position they were last night and slipped a leg between Harry's. For a few minutes, they just laid there, breathing evenly, unconsciously matching their breaths. Harry covered Louis' hand that was on Harry's chest with his own, intertwining their fingers, and his other hand was drawing slow circles on Louis' back, occasionally brushing through the hair on Louis' neck.