Chapter 1: Back

*A/N I do not own Mission Impossible, or any of the characters. I only own my own character. Story contains spoilers for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

IMF headquarters

"Benji." Brandt called as he tried to locate the members of his undercover team. "Benji, do you copy? Benji."

"Oh. Shit." Benji muttered at last in reply, and Brandt asked worriedly: "Where is Ethan?"

"Uh." Benji replied hesitantly.

Minsk

"I can't talk right now." Benji said evasively as he lifted the binoculars to his eyes, staying low as he hid amongst the grassy fields, covered in a grass blanket to try and blend in with his surroundings as he covertly watched their target being loaded onto the huge cargo jet.

"The package is on the plane." Brandt pointed out, and Benji muttered distractedly: "Yeah, I know. We're currently formulating a plan B... although technically, it's a plan C."

IMF headquarters

"This isn't going very well." Brandt sighed as he leaned heavily against a table, and Benji retorted over the comms: "I am aware of that, Brandt. You're not helping."

"Where's Ethan?" Brandt asked, cutting to the chase, before he groaned as Benji replied shortly: "I don't know. We're on radio silence."

"That plane cannot takeoff, with the package on it." Brandt ordered, saying each word distinctly as he tried to keep his temper in check. "You understand?"

"We're working on it." Luther's voice replied, and Brandt whipped his head around to stare at the comm in disbelief.

"Luther?" He asked incredulously. "What the hell are you doing there? You are supposed to be on an assignment in Malaysia."

Malaysia

"I am in Malaysia." Luther retorted as he climbed the tower. "I've been here 2 days. Benji needed my help."

IMF headquarters

"I didn't need help." Benji replied defensively as Brandt covered his face with his hand, shaking his head with a sigh. "I just...I needed assistance, it's a different thing."

"The package is still on that plane." He sighed, lifting his head out of his hand to stare at the monitors, which showed the jet waiting on the runway as the package was being loaded.

"We understand the package is on the plane." Benji snapped. "We're trying to cripple it remotely."

"You can do that?" Brandt asked quickly, his spirits rising hopefully before they crashed again as Luther replied: "We can if the pilot left the satellite uplink switched on."

"Which he has." Benji added smugly, but Brandt had a very bad feeling about the plan as he asked slowly: "And how do you access the uplink?"

"It involves hacking a Russian satellite." Luther replied shortly, and Brandt winced, feeling a migraine coming as he groaned: "I can't authorize that."

"Which is why I didn't ask permission." Luther snapped, and Brandt hissed, trying not to bite his team's heads off: "We are under investigation for misconduct."

"The package is on-board." Luther retorted. "What do you want me to do?"

"Uh... Luther." Benji suddenly called nervously, and Brandt turned to look back at the monitors at Benji's tone.

His mouth dropped open as he saw the heat signatures appearing on the jet's wings, and he called sharply: "I'm reading a heat bloom, Benji. The engines are starting."