Chapter One

"Elsa hurry up!" Anna called from the hallway.

"Patience, Anna!" Elsa called back. She quickly threw her dress on and pulled her boots onto her feet. After braiding her hair she opened the door to find Anna standing there with wide eyes and an eager expression.

"Finally! You take so long!" she teased. Elsa scoffed.

"It only took me five minutes, Anna."

"Well, that's five minutes too long then. Let's go, let's go!" Anna began to pull Elsa down the castle halls and out the front doors. As they passed the townspeople, they bowed to her. She would smile, but she couldn't stop to pay her respects. Anna had her by the wrist and was determined not to let her get distracted. They ran until they reached the end of the town where a big, frozen lake was. Anna quickly slipped on her skating shoes, and yanked Elsa onto the ice with her, causing them both to stumble. They went sliding across the lake. Elsa created a thick layer of ice so their skates wouldn't cut through it. They skated and danced and laughed together. Elsa drew frost pictures on the glossy surface. She watched as Anna's eyes lit up with joy.

"Just like old times, eh?" Anna beamed from ear to ear. Suddenly, Elsa felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to find Kristoff smiling at them both.

"May I?" he asked, putting out his hand for Anna to take.

"Of course." Elsa stepped back, letting Kristoff take her place. Anna and Kristoff took off, laughing and skating together. Elsa stood on the side, watching her little sister. As she watched Anna with Kristoff, she couldn't help but feel the underlying sadness that her sister was close to grown up now. Elsa remembered the years locked away in her room where she couldn't watch Anna grow up. It was like time travel to Elsa. Anna used to be a small child begging for snowmen, and now, well now she was grown and in love. Elsa often missed the years that they couldn't spend together.

She shook herself and pushed those thoughts aside. She shouldn't be worrying about things like that now. She and Anna were both happy, and that's all that mattered. 

She looked down at her gloveless hands. Never again. She was free and in control.

Anna and Kristoff flew by, and Anna grabbed Elsa and began to pull her along from behind. They were gliding for hours across the frozen lake. Elsa wasn't sure when she'd had that much fun. After a while the townspeople joined them and they were all skating in circles together. Elsa stared at all the giddy people around her with pure amusement. They all enjoyed her gift. She was free to be herself. Nobody was scared.

Just then a shadow crossed through her peripheral vision. She turned her head but there was nobody there. She shrugged and continued frosting the air around her and blowing beautiful snowflakes at a passersby. But there it was again. A figure flying across the sky. Could it be? No, she told herself harshly. It couldn't be. She forced those thoughts away and continued the day carefree with Anna. Once the moon rose high in the sky the day's snowy festivities were done, and Elsa was exhausted. She bid Anna goodnight with a smile and a long, embraceable hug, then retired into her room. Changing from her dress into her nightgown, she migrated towards the window to gaze up at the moon, a habit from her childhood.

A shadow flew across the moon. This time she was sure of it. She took a deep breath. She didn't want to make a fool of herself. Maybe she was just making things up. But she had to see. "Jack Frost," she murmured, her eyes darting across the sky.

"Well, if it isn't my little Elsa," a voice replied. Elsa gasped and backed away from her window, falling onto her bed.

"Jack?"