Chapter Six

That night Elsa lay awake in her bed, her mind racing. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t find sleep. What had she done? What had he done? He was her childhood imaginary friend! She felt like she had just met him, but at the same time that she’d known him all her life. She technically had. He’d come to her when she was a child. But she wasn’t a child anymore. Was it correct to let herself feel this way about Jack, the immortal spirit of winter? That made her practically in love with winter itself. The cold had never bothered her anyway. But still, it was completely wrong, wasn’t it? Then why did it feel so right?

She stared at her ceiling for hours, playing with snowflakes. She also realized that she might be falling for a completely invisible person. To anyone else she had just been kissing the air. They’d think she was insane. She let out a large sigh and began to wonder where Jack had run off to.

Jack sat at the top of a tree, absentmindedly poking at branches with his staff and watching them frost over. He couldn’t believe what he had just done. Elsa, the scared, innocent child. But that Elsa was no more. She was now older, confident, strong, powerful, beautiful. The way the dresses she wore fit onto her body… her hair always put in that loose braid… her sweet smile, the way her eyes glinted in the moonlight…

“No, Jack! Stop this!” he yelled at himself. He broke off a branch and angrily through it into the night. He flew from the tree to the ground, gripping his frosty hair with both of his hands and sinking to his knees with a frustrated grunt. What was this feeling? He’d never felt it before. He couldn’t control it. He could feel it rising and swirling from within him like a harsh winter storm.

His mind strayed to what the moon had told him that one frightful night. The reason he had left Elsa in the first place. Maybe coming back had been a mistake… maybe he should have listened to the moon…

“What am I supposed to do?” he screamed at the glowing orb in the night sky. “Did you know this would happen? Is this why? Did you know I would fall in love with-” He stopped himself. He had said it. He had said it and now he could never take it back or unfeel it. Love. A terrible word. A wonderful word. A word he thought he could never find. But he had said it. And had he meant it?

He flew into the darkness. “I think I might… l… love… her.” he said and fell back to the ground. What had he done? Why must he feel this way when he knows how it’s going to end? This wasn’t like him at all.

“I’m snowballs and fun times, not this ooey gooey stuff,” he told himself. But still he couldn’t make the feeling go away.

“WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?” he yelled at the moon again. No one answered.