Inivitation ch.1

"Noelle... You can leave now dear." Miss Adam's says to me.

My fingers fly across the keyboard as I type up the last written paragraph for an email that isn't going to be sent out until tomorrow afternoon but who's to say I can't finish it early?

"Just one second. I'll clock out in two minutes."

I could sense her smile surrounded by endless amounts of wrinkles as she continued to stare at me from my side.

"You do this every night. Don't you want to go home? " She asks me with sincerity in her voice.

"I just need to get this done, Maybelle. It's due tomorrow and-"

My fingers stopped typing as my thoughts seized.

"And what?" She nudges for an answer.

"Tomorrow is.. My parents anniversary." I sigh, grievance filling in my hearts holes.

"Oh dear.." She gasps. "Another ears gone by already?" Her small gentle hand is placed on my shoulder, warmth radiating down my arm as my palm begins to sweat.

"I almost forgot." I admit, sulking in my emotions, how could I ever forget?

"A few of us ladies are going out to play some Bingo later, would you like to join us? We could get some grub first and meet them after?"

I finally look away from my computers screen, turning my attention to the nice old lady I'm proud to call my work partner.

"Sure." I smile at her, she's sweet and caring, not much like my college roommate Shelby. Marybelle's complexion is in no competition with Shelby as she has atleast 50 years added to it, with much more wrinkles and age spots. Her hair is a nice auburn color with some grown in grey roots, short and styled back with a bit of gel.

"I would love to get out of the dorm room for a night." I say as I quickly shut down the computer.

Marybelle trudges away towards the coat closest with a skip in her step as she grabs our coats.

I'm quick to jump up from my swivel chair and meet her at the closer before she can pull out my coat.

"I got it, thank you." I say with a polite smile, which she returns as she hands me my jacket.

"I won't die by getting you your coat." She jokes. I don't say anything, embarrassed slightly, so I cover my embarrassment by putting on my jacket. "My cars in the parking lot, over towards the stairs. Did you bring a purse?"

I shake my head and hold up my hand, wrapped around my wrist is a band that connects to a small pocket sized clutch with a zipper that never opens. For me anyways.

"Oh" she laughs again, "that's tiny!" She begins to walk down the hallway towards the big doors that exit out of the building. "You should see the size of mine. My daughter bought it for me years ago, it's about 20 times the size of yours. I leave it in my car, that way I never forget it at work."

Miss Adams always smiled and giggled, she damn well knew I hardly ever said a few words. All my speaking is through my writing, and also my feelings but mainly my writing. Sure I'll say 'hello' and make small talk but to hold a full conversation with me.. Well that hasn't happened since before my parents left me.

"Here's my car." She says as she unlocks it with a push of a button on her keychain. "Nothing fancy but it gets me from point A to B" I nod at her with a smile.

It's more than what I have.. A ride on the bus.. To and from work. Woohoo.

"The girls will love you Noelle. They can't stand to be interrupted and they love a listener. Lucky for you, you listen and speak with your eyes." She opens the front drivers side door and gets in, leaving me to walk around and do the same on the other side.

We fasten our seatbelts and she starts the engine. "How many ladies will be joining us?" I voice my thoughts.

"Just three, but I feel I should tell you. Barbara always brings her grandson along, when he's free, and I'm pretty sure he's done with work for a few upcoming weeks." My eyes widen for a split second and I force myself not to roll them.

"He's a sweet, sweet boy. He's not really her grandson, he works for her in her bakery. He's a gentlemen, I think you'll like him."

There goes the eye roll. I just couldn't hold it back.

"Really? Rolling your eyes before you meet the young man?" She laughs.

"How old is he? 14?" I tease.

"Ha, ha." She dry laughs. "He just turned twenty."

"So I've got... 4 months more knowledge than the-"

"Just two minutes ago you barely said anything and now you're sassing up the car with your comments about Harold."

First the eye roll I couldn't control and now this scoff escapes my lips and I slap my hand over my mouth to keep anything else from slipping.

Marybelle giggles as she turns into the restaurants parking lot.

Harold.. What kind of name is Harold anyways? I bet he has buck teeth, blonde shaggy hair and the shittiest brown eyes I've ever seen.

Yep. He will look just like the dude from Dumb and Dumber. Only dumber...

((A/N: my new book.. It's a romantic comedy.. Leave a nice comment? :) ))