Harold ch.2

Dinner was rather peaceful, Marybelle did talk most of the time and I'm not complaining one bit. Filling in silences with giggles or comments about the wait for our food taking forever, she's a character I'll tell ya. Over all, I had a great time. She never made fun of the way I did not speak when expected to, she just looked me in the eye with a smile that no one could replace, I knew that when I took on this job she would be someone I worked in the same office with, what I didn't know was that she was the nicest person I ever met. Young or old, age does not determine a friendship.

Before I know it we are on our way to go play some Bingo!

"We are running 15 minutes early, which is good because tables fill up fast and with the weather being chilly not many actually make it. Can you believe the weather we have been having? The wind gusting is nasty lately."

"How often do they have Bingo nights?" I ask.

She looks over her shoulder at me quickly with a smile on her face that I assume she was surprised I had asked something. Talking about weather wasn't something I enjoyed, not longed to talk about.

"Twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, I always go. You are more than welcome to join me, I don't need any advance on knowing, you just following me to my car is good enough to know that you'd be joining me."

The car pulls into a halfway vacant medium parking sized lot. This parking lot is no where near the size of the lot we had just come from and I'm quite relieved we won't have to walk far. The bitterly cold wind has made the temperature these days 20 times colder. Again I panic as the car slams to a deadly halt, stopping just barely inside the yellow parking lines.

"Put your hood up dear, the wind is gusting awfully fast now that the sun has gone down." As I open the car door I realize she is right and I quickly pull my hood up an over my head. "Told you deary." She snickers, cackling and getting out of the car as well. I shut the car door and meet her around near the trunk of the car.

We walk the short distance from the car to the entrance doors, our boots squishing the snow beneath us. Only difference is I have about 4 inch higher heels that she does and I twist my ankle atleast a dozen times. It's clear to me that I should get the door for her, as I'm closer to it and it's what I was taught to do as a kid anyways. My hand reaches out for the doors handle and I pull it open, standing off to the side of it.

"Thank you, Noey." She smiles as she walks past me. I can't bring myself to move, the last person to call me that was my mother. My special nick name I was given before I can even remember. "You'll catch a cold out there, come on inside. Don't be shy now." Marybelle teases with a smile. She truly was my guardian angel.

I stood behind Marybelle as she signed us both in, I was her plus one and the person taking the money looked at me for a split second and then back at Marybelle. "She doesn't look over 55" but hands her our Bingo cards anyways.

"She has to say that, it's policy." She smiles at me. "It's also policy to not let you in but she knows me well and let's Barbara slide Harold in all the time."

I nod and she takes that as her cue to show me where exactly we would be seated. Two glass doors, which were apparently sound proof, hold in atleast 200 other old ladies. Not to mention some older men but the majority was ladies. The loudness was nearly unbearable, I was feeling lightheaded from all the eyes that were on me, it's obvious I didn't belong here and they all knew it.

"Marybelle! Glad you could make it, darlin!" A lady, not much older than Marybelle, stands from her seat and waves us over.

"Don't i always." She says sarcastically, earning a soft snort from my nose.