Chapter 3

"How was your day, honey?" My mom asked me as I stepped into the living room. My older sister, Beatirce was sitting in the love seat while my mom was on the couch. 

"Alright, I suppose." I said, with a half smile. I decided against telling her about Paul.

"That's nice." My mom smiled. There was a short silence. I absoloutely hate silence, so I chose to speak.

"I'll be right back." I said, walking into the kitchen to get myself a snack. Lunch seems like it was days ago. 

I grabbed and apple and walked back into the living room, joining my mom on the couch.

"How was school, Bea?" I asked. She was a senior, while I was a softmore so we both went to the same school; yet somehow managed not to see eachother all day. 

"It was great! Cara intoduced me to all of her friends and we all got on well enough!" Beatrice said with a huge grin. Cara was her friend from back when we were still in London who had moved here 5 years  ago. It figures, Bea was better at making friends anyway. She was also better at school than me. Forget it, she's just a better person in general.

I snapped out of my jealous thoughts of my sister to the sound of my mom's voice. "Did you make any friends today Jackie?" She asked with a sweet tone. I paused before speaking. "Well... not yet but you don't need to worry about it." I said, knowing that my mom would indeed worry about it. 

"Oh... Okay." My mom said, knowing that I was trying my best to steer away from some sappy conversation about 'Making Friends'.

"Cara and I are going to a concert tonight at some hangout called the 'Cavern', you can come with us if you want. I hear that there's a gear band playing tonight." Bea said with a smile. 

I smiled and nodded. "Sure." 

"Beatrice, are you picking up on the Liverpuddplian slang already?" My mom teased her for the use of the word 'gear'. 

Bea laughed before standing up. "It's 3:30, I'm going to start getting ready." She said before walking out of the living room and trotting up the stairs.

I finished my apple and threw the core out the window while my mom's back was turned.

"See you later." I said to her, before jogging up the stairs to my room. I sighed, sitting down at my desk. I pulled out a piece of paper and drew  a circle on it. After around an hour I finished doodling a donkey. I gave it a bell around it's neck, just like the cows in Switzerland and wrote 'Paul' on the bell. 

I giggled, 'Paul the donkey'. I snapped out of the trance when my mom called up the stairs. "Jackie, are you getting ready?" 

"Nope!" I called back.

"You should! It's already five o'clock!" She replied. 

I glanced at my alarm clock and saw that it was 4:30. That's my  mom for you, always exagerating the time to make you stuff. I shrugged and walked over to Bea's room. I hesitated before knocking on the maple door. 

"Who is it?!" She called. I walked into the room with an easy smile on my lips. 

"I said, 'who is it?'" She said to me.  She was lying on her bed brushing her damp hair with a bath robe tightly wrapped around her.

I shrugged. "You know now." I teased. 

She rolled her eyes at me. "What do you want?"

"What time is this concert thing at?"

"It's at seven." She said. putting the brush down. 

"Okay." I said, turning around to go back into my room. I purposly left the door open and stood at the top of the stairs, listening, amused, by the sound of her whining.