5 | progress

Aurora and Alex were once again in the bunker with Charles working on his powers

Aurora and Alex were once again in the bunker with Charles working on his powers. Over the past couple of days he had gotten better at controlling his aim. He was more confident in controlling his mutation. After the moment he shared with Aurora, he refused to leave her side. He wanted to get to know her better. He didn't want fear to rule him anymore.

Once again a mannequin was placed in the centre of the room while Aurora and Charles watched. Alex took a deep breathe before letting red plasma rip from his chest. This time, however, he only hit the mannequin.

He couldn't fight the grin that appeared on his face. He could hear Charles and Aurora cheer for him from the other side of the glass. He still couldn't believe that he did it.

He snapped back into reality when he felt Aurora hug him. It took him a second to hug her back but when he did, he felt a huge weight lifted off his shoulder. He was proud of himself, proud that he finally got the control that he wanted. He knew that Aurora was the push that he finally needed. Fate had paired them together and he finally understood why she was his.

"You did it," she whispered in his ear. She was proud of him. She knew he could do it but needed a push. She was happy that he did what he had always wanted from to do and did it for himself and on his own terms. She knew he struggled with control and now he had a better hold of his abilities.

He grinned, "Thank you. I couldn't have done it without you."

Aurora shook her head in denial, "I didn't do anything. You did this. Your strength and persistency, did this. I had nothing to do with this. I knew you could do it. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for. Don't ever give up on yourself."

After the training session, Aurora decided to retreat to her room

After the training session, Aurora decided to retreat to her room. She had a heart condition which resulted in her taking regular medication but sometimes when it got really bad, she would have to use an oxygen mask to breathe properly. She hated it but learnt how to live with as she didn't want it to effect her from living life and doing the things that she wanted to do and being able to explore the rest of the world.

She was currently sat on her bed with her oxygen mask on, staring out the window. She was taken out of her daydream by a knock on the door, "Come in." She sat up on the bed to see Alex walking into the room. He frowned in confusion when he saw the oxygen mask.

"I have a heart condition."

"Do you have to sit with an oxygen mask on often?" He sat down next to her, afraid to get too close. He worried about hurting her, even more now with her heart condition. He understood why she didn't tell him but he still worried. He knew she was independent and hated having to rely on anyone.

"Not really, a couple of times a month. I've learnt how to deal with it. Sometimes it just becomes too much and I have to take a step back to breathe. Don't worry about me. I know how to deal with it." Even though she told him not to worry, she knew that he would.

He nodded slowly, "You know I'm always going to worry but I do know you can take care of yourself. Just don't push me away and ask me for help if you need it." He didn't know what to do but knew that he needed to be there for her in any way that she needed him.

"I will. Thank you." She put the oxygen mask down and laid down on the bed, "You can come and cuddle me right now. I'm tired but I don't want to sleep alone." Alex smiled before taking of his shoes and laid down next to her. She moved to place her head on his chest, snuggling up close to him.

Alex wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. "Go to sleep, I'm right here." He kissed the top of her before she slowly drifted off to sleep but before she did, she thought she heard Alex whisper, "I love you."