9 | promises

"What do you want to do now?" Alex asked her as he and Aurora sat in the garden, enjoying the sunset

"What do you want to do now?" Alex asked her as he and Aurora sat in the garden, enjoying the sunset. Alex had his arms wrapped around her as she snuggled into his chest. After Raven had left, Aurora hadn't been the same but she stayed strong for Charles' sake. He was her family and with his inability to move his legs, she refused to leave his side.

"I honestly don't know. Before I wanted to travel the world and explore and discover new things but then I meet you. I'm happy where I am. I know you don't want me to feel like you're holding me down but I'm happy," Aurora smiled. As long as she was next to him, she would always be happy.

"You want to stay here with me?" Alex asked unsure. She was right, he didn't want her to feel like he was holding her down. He wanted her to be happy and do whatever it was she wanted to do.

"You're the biggest reason why I want to stay but I also want to stay for Charles and Hank. I'm the only family Charles has left now and I want to be there for him when he opens the school. He's wanted this for so long and I feel that I need to stand by him. I know you want to help as well. This school means as much to you as it does me. Hank is my friend and after Raven left, I've been there for him. He's family to me too and I want to be there him," Aurora explained.

Alex nodded, "I want to stay. This place has become home to me. I never felt like I belonged before and now I have friends and a family and I have you. I love you and anywhere you are, I will go."

"I love you too. Anywhere you go, I will follow." Alex tightened his arms around her slightly. A silent promise that he wasn't going anywhere. They had a future together. He would stand by her no matter what as she would stand by him. They belonged together, that much they both knew. They weren't rushing into anything but they knew as long as they had each other, they would be fine.

 They weren't rushing into anything but they knew as long as they had each other, they would be fine

"Are you ready to do this?" Aurora asked her brother.

Charles smiled at his younger sister, "I am. I've been dreaming of opening this school for so long. I'm proud I get to do it with friends and family. I'm glad you're here but I have to ask. I thought you wanted to travel the world? Are you staying because of me and Alex?"

Aurora shook her head laughing slightly, "Of course not. I decided to stay because you both gave me a home. Somewhere I belong. I care about you both a lot but right now I want to be there for you both. I've travelled and I have time to travel in the future but right now, I'm happy where I am. This school is important to me too. I want to be here, not because I feel obligated in any way but because it makes me happy."

Charles smiled, "I'm glad to hear that. Is Alex fine with you staying?" He didn't want her to have any regrets and wanted her to do whatever she could with her life.

Aurora nodded her head, "We talked about it and we're both fine with staying here for now. We've even thought about moving in together. I'm happy, Charles. Alex makes me very happy. I'm glad we're I am."

"I just don't want you to regret anything."

"I promise I won't."

"There's my favourite scientist," Aurora grinned as she walked into Hank's lab with lunch. Hank had become like a brother to her and she was glad that he continued her a sister too.

"What are you doing here?" Hank laughed.

"I come baring gifts. I hope you're hungry," she spoke as she held up the bag of food.

"You know I am. Thank you."

"Glad to hear it." The two ate their lunch while making small talk. Aurora liked the fact that she had someone to talk to other than Alex and Charles and understand her. Hank was glad to have a friend that understood him and didn't judge him in any way.

"I'm glad you're staying."

"Me too. This is home. This is where I belong."

¥

Later that night, both Alex and Aurora were in bed, cuddling. Alex held her close to his body and Aurora returned the gesture by snuggling closer to him.

"I love you, Aurora," he spoke softly.

"I love you too, Alex."