Movie Night

Dalton didn't show up for breakfast so I figured he'd be here by lunchtime. I didn't know why but I was really excited to see him today but he wasn't very talkative last night when he called me.

He walked through the door at twelve o'five with sunglasses on,which he never wears especially not inside. I walked up to him as he stood in front of me he was obviously very tired.

" Why are you wearing sunglasses?" I asked standing infront of him with my hands on my hips.

" Don't make a fuss about it, can you please get me some coffee?"

" Yeah I'll be right back." Scurrying off to the kitchen I couldn't help but wonder why Dalton was wearing sunglasses but I didn't think on it too much. After making his coffee exactly how he likes it I went back to the dining room seeing him struggling to stay awake.

I sat the coffee down infront of him " Here ya go."

" Thank you." He said tiredly

" Why didn't you sleep in?" I sat down across from him which was something I never done.

" Because I had to go to the station and fill out a bunch of papers." He was clearly frustrated and tired.

" Do you want some chocolate cake?" I asked trying to cheer him up.

" Please?"

" Let me check on that table over there then I'll go get it." I got up up and wet to the table I had pointed to then ran off to the kitchen so I could claim the last piece of chocolate cake for Dalton.

" Harleen somebody's on the phone for you!" Jackie called from the kitchen doorway.

" Okay let me take this to Dalton and I'll answer it." I picked up the plate and took it to Dalton then ran back to the phone.

" Hello?"

" Harleen it's momma."

" Momma what's wrong? You never call me at work." I was concerned because of this.

" Your daddy and I are on our way to Kentucky."

" Why are you going to Kentucky?" I started panicking

" It's just some stuff with selling the property and we needed to check up on your Mamaw."

" Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

" It just came up and I didn't think you'd want to come."

" Fine be careful. I have to go but I love you." I said hanging up the phone not waiting for her response. Huffing I slumped in a chair infront of Dalton as he stuffed his face with cake.

" Want a bite?" He asked holding up his fork. Without a word I took the fork from his hand and eating the cake. " What's wrong?" He asked seeming genuinely concerned

" My parents went to Kentucky for a couple of days and are just now telling me." I said staring blankly at the table cloth.

" Why didn't they tell you?"

" Momma thought I didn't want to go."

" Hey, I got an idea." He said getting my attention.

" What?"

" Why don't you take the day off and we can hang out. We've both had a rough day so let's just take a break."

" I don't guess it would hurt..." I said being optimistic

" Come on Har please?" Dalton begged like a child

" Fine! I'll be outside in five minutes." I got up and went to tell Jackie I was leaving for the day. After some convincing Jackie let me off I ran outside to where Dalton had his truck waiting at the front door. With a smile he sped out of the parking lot and down the street to the grocery store.