Denial: Part 2

Dalton quit trying to call and text me after four days and I went back to life as usual but if I was honest with myself I've been miserable without Dalton. The diner was busy and hadn't sat down since I started my shift, I was walking into the dining room when I saw Dalton scanning the room probably looking for me. I rolled my eyes and a started towards a table to serve them their food when Dalton walked up behind me.

" Harleen can we talk?" He asked as I weaved in and out of the tables.

" I don't have the time Dalton." I said serving the food and then going to retrieve a rag to wipe down a table.

" Harleen, please. Just tell me what happened. Why did you leave the other night?" At this point I was just ignoring him completely, I felt his fingers wrap around my bicep then he turned me around and held my hands like I was handcuffed and led me out of the dining room.

" Dalton, let me go." I said in an angry voice but keeping it low. " Your making a scene!" I said trying to wiggle my hands but his grip only tightened while he continued to ignore me until we got to the back of the restaurant.

Once we was out of sight I let him have it "Do you realize how embarrassing that was in there? You just made me look like a fool. No scratch that, you were making me look like I was getting arrested!"

"You're weren't listening to me, Harleen!" He shouted back.

"What do you want?!" I shouted

" I want to know why in the world you left the other day?!" He shouted louder

" Because I wanted to!"

" Well I think you owe me an explanation at least!" He said taking a step closer

" It's always all about you ain't it? You are so selfish! You never think about anybody but you!" I screamed not even thinking twice before I spoke. Dalton was about to say something back when his radio went off and he turned around.

" We've got a 10-55 officer is in need of assistance." Dispatch said over the radio.

" 10-4, enroute." He replied back as I stood there with crossed arms still seething with anger. Turning back around he placed a hand on his hip and raked a hand over his face clearly stressed.

"We will talk later. Don't bother calling me or coming over. I'm going to be at work for the rest of the night." And before I could say something back, Dalton walked away. I leaned back against the wall and started crying regretting the angry words I said, I don't know what got a hold of me it just came out.

Later that night I laid in bed not able to sleep all I could do was replay the argument me and Dalton had over in my head. Having enough of not sleeping I got out of bed and put my shoes on the went out for a drive to clear my head. The radio was down low in the background as the cool night air blew through the window making me more alert. Without even realizing it I was sitting in Dalton's driveway staring at the house, he was obviously awake because his porch light was on and his kitchen/living room light was on. The door was open but the screen door was shut.

I sat there for a bit before turning off my truck. "Why am I here?" I mumbled the rhetorical question to myself.

Not even knocking on the door, I walked into Dalton's house letting the screen door slam and smelling fresh coffee as soon as I stepped in.

"Dalton!" I hollered turning a corner to the kitchen just in time to see him jump.

"Harleen, what are you doing here? I told you not to come." His jaw was clenched as he leaned back against the counter and folded his arms over his bare chest.

"Listen. You need to stop. You are SO annoying and I cannot stand you. You constantly nag me and you're so pushy and you always trying to prank me or do something to get on my nerves." My voice got softer with every word I spoke "But for some reason I keep coming back to you. You're all I can ever think about and I feel so alone when your not around..." I didn't get another word out when Dalton came over and wrapped me up in his arms but I didn't fight it, I was tired of fighting for once I just wanted to be held.

" I'm sorry I said those things earlier, I promise I didn't mean them." I said burying my head in his chest and wrapping my arms around his warm body.

" There's no need to be sorry, I shouldn't have done what I did." He said kissing the top of my head. I looked up at him rested my chin on his chest he brought his left hand up to my face and ran his thumb along my jaw.

" Can I kiss you?" He quietly asked, it only took a split second for me nod yes and he started slowly leaning in. His lips brushed mine and I just melted even though my heart was pounding out of my chest I was relaxed in his arms. In that moment I forgot everything and I felt like all of my broken pieces had been put back together. Dalton pulled back with a huge smile on his face looking down at me and I couldn't help but return the smile.

" You wanna sit on the porch and drink some coffee?" He asked

" Sure." I smiled pulling back a little bit

" Can you make it real quick? I'm gonna go put a shirt on." He pushed my hair behind my shoulders

" Yeah I can do that." I said kissing his cheek then going to the coffee while he walked away. I couldn't wipe that stupid smile off my face the whole time I was making the coffee. I was sitting on the porch swing waiting for Dalton when he came out in a white t-shirt.

" Hey." He said walking over to my and taking his coffee from my hands and kissing my forehead.

" Hello." I smiled

" Thanks for the coffee." He said sitting beside me and putting his arm around my shoulders.

" Your welcome." I hesitated before saying my next sentence." We need to talk....."

A/n

dun dun cliffy!