The Story...

" We need to talk..." I said sucking in a deep breath and turning sitting criss cross looking at Dalton who looked kind of nervous.

" What's on your mind?" He said taking my hand

" The reason I ran off the other day was because I.... I thought of someone who was once a very special to me and up till now I haven't been able to talk about it." I said looking to see what his facial expression was, he was listening intently running his thumb over the back of my hand. He didn't say a word as if silently urging me to go on." His name was Cody Porter we grew up together..." I was interrupted by an annoying beeping sound making Dalton throw his head back against the porch swing in frustration.

" I'll be right back." He said with a groan and getting up. I watched him disappear into the house, I sat on the swing for probably six minutes when Dalton came back out buttoning up his uniform shirt.

" I have to go there's been a wreck but I'll be back soon." He said walking over and giving me a peck on the cheek.

" Okay, please be careful." I pleaded as he walked away

" I'll try my best." He said before getting into his car and leaving. I sat on the swing with just my thoughts and I began to realize how blessed I had been here lately and how there was only one way that I felt like this again. Looking up to the star filled sky with tears streaming down my face I began to pray for the first time in ages.

" God? I don't know if you can hear me but I wanted to say that I'm so sorry for being angry. Cody was my everything and even though I may never know why You took him away I'm grateful You have given me Dalton. He's so amazing but I'm kind of scared. His job is more dangerous than Cody's was and it scares me to think I could loose him just as easily. All I'm asking is that I don't get my heart broken again..." I continued praying and when I finished I went in the house a cleaned up mine and Dalton's coffee mugs then went and stole one Dalton's sweatshirts because I was getting cold. I sat waiting for Dalton barely keeping my eyes open when he came up the driveway.

He got out of the car looking tired but when he looked up at me he seemed to perk up.

" I'll be right back I'm just gonna go change clothes." He said before walking into the house, I waited for a few minutes until he came out in the same clothes he had on before he left. He sat down beside with a smile on his face and taking my hand.

" You ready to hear the rest?" I said squeezing his hand.

" If you don't mind." He squeezed back gently.

Taking a deep breath I started once again " Me and Cody was inseparable growing up, it was my sophomore year and homecoming was right around the corner. I had developed a crush on Cody and apparently he had one on me too because he asked me to be his date to Homecoming. So of course I said yes and our relationship only grew from then out." I looked at Dalton who was very closely listening. "A month after I graduated Cody proposed, I said said yes but we decided to wait a year while I started college and we got enough money to get an apartment."

Closing my eyes I tried to prevent the tears from pouring out.

" Two weeks before the wedding there was an earthquake in Harlan and that caused..." I stopped to take a breath then felt Dalton squeeze my hand. I looked over at him, he had a somber expression on his face." It caused the mine to collapse and kill Cody." I finally broke out in sobs when Dalton wrapped his arms around me whispering sweet nothings in my ear. When I finally calmed down I laid my head in his lap while stroked my hair and rocking us slowly with his foot making my eyelids grow heavy.

" Dalton?"

" Yes darlin?" He said in a sleepy southern drawl

" I prayed tonight." I admitted happily, he bent down with a smile on his face and kissed my cheek.