Chapter Eight

It's been a long day, his new job was certainly taxing but the money he was earning would certainly provide for both Y/N and Quill back home. Woodwin was actually fairly content with the location they were moved too, not too big, not too loud but also not too quiet either, nothing happened here that was out of the ordinary and they were certainly far enough away from the Syndicate so Y/N was safe from any harm they could try and inflict on her.

Of course he was still somewhat hurt but he understood the truth to it, how it was still technically his fault, he couldn't stop his team until the last second, he changed his whole ideals of the world just to keep the child safe when he found her; all his life he's been told "hybrids" like these were meant to be taked and studied or worse, killed. Woodwin still technically felt bad he never saw that they were people too until the moment he threw Rick out the window- actually he apposed he was always planning on backstabbing his previous work environment in the back and the attack on Blèu's family was enough to snap him out of his "I don't know what to do about this" phase or whatever.

Actually, the only reason they were able to switch houses so quickly when they got found was because of a friend he had met days after the initial abandonment, a friend who worked with the government put them into a witness protection program, names were switched around sometimes; only reason they didn't change their names in Jasper was because it felt like a relatively safe town.

"Woody, how convenient I see you here"

Speaking of old friends.

Woodwin stopped sucking in a breath he turned to the individual who spoke to him. "Germaine, thought you were in Kentucky."

"You thought wrong" Germaine was a tall and lanky guy; he was always wearing some kind of leather jacket and jean, short black hair and emerald green eyes. He was foreign, his voice was roughly smooth and only slightly accented, a little southern since he learned to speak English in Texas but it was spoken very fluently.

"You are aware you're a wanted individual correct?"

"Oh I know, but Jaspers quiet, no one round here is gonna snitch" Germaine cackled. "I know you ain't gonna either, cuz we, we're friends"

Woodwin smiled softly, he couldn't argue with that. "Who gave you the tipoff about this place?"

Germaine hummed. "Got it from your file in the database" he walked besides Woodwin, placing his hands in his pocket. "Also wanted to warn ya that the Syndicate is gettin' more bold, been monitoring their activity; they stole some pretty valuable items from a museum recently" he paused. "Keep your Hybrid indoor for now Woody and wear a hood when you go out for work, there's some Syndicate agents out nearby Jasper by some cave couple miles from town"

Woodwin tensed, would they really have to move so soon? "What are they doing out here"

"Not lookin' for you that's for sure" Germaine took out a toothpick, taking bite into it. "Some other shady business, you keep your head down and you'll be fine"

"Bléu is going to school now, that's going to be harder than you think" Woodwin pointed out.

Germaine snorted. "Than take 'em out of school, didn't you used to homeschool both of them kids you have?"

"I don't want to ruin Bléu's chance at making friends, I've already taken so much from them" Woodwin shouldered his bag.

Germaine clicked his tongue in response, the bitten toothpick sticking to the bottom of his lip. "I'm sure it's swell livin' with the guy who had a hand in the death of loving parents"

Woodwin scowled. "Well I certainly wasn't going to let the CIA take them, they're a person not a weapon" and he was the only one willing to take care of Y/N, they were just...so young when it all happened.

"We all know you pity the kid, but eventually Somethings gonna happen and you ain't gonna be able to do anything about it, whether it be the gov gettin' their grimy little mittens on 'em, or the Syndicates gonna finish what they started, or it could be them runnin' away from home" Germaine patted Woodwin on the shoulder. "Possibilities are endless my friend"

"I'd like it if you shut your mouth."

"You remember the first time I met Y/N?" Germain kept up with Woodwins now brisk pace. "Kid nearly broke my arm slammin' it on that table during that arm wrestlin' contest, she was fourteen, fourteen Woodwin, and she won against me and that's when I knew that kid was gonna be special."

"Ok. Whats your point?"

Germaine sighed like it was obvious, but Woodwin just wanted the man out of his face. "You can't protect 'em forever is what I'm saying" he patted him on the shoulder. "I've seen and had firsthand experience on what the kid can do, eventually they're gonna be protecting themselves, they won't need you no more, it's why I want Y/N to join me when they're older"

Woodwin balked. "You? But you're a criminal, and your organization-"

"Is built to help people who really need it, GOV ain't gonna do nothin' for these people Woody and you know what's done to things that humanity don't understand? They burn 'em at the stake and if they're too dangerous they're considered weapons" Germaine kept his voice low even if there wasn't anyone around to be listening. "Y/N got left off the hook because of your insistence that you can keep 'em under control and cuz you had info about the Syndicate."

"Blèu isn't the only one who-"

"They're one of the small percent Woody," Germaine stopped walking and unfortunately Woodwin also stopped just to listen. "You don't approve of my methods, I get that, folks die. But Blèu could help alotta people that are like them. If they want. I ain't gonna force it but I don't want you stopping me from puttin' the offer out"

Woodwin casted his gaze to the ground, he guess he understood and he doubted Bléu would take the offer at also what's the harm in letting Germaine ask?. "Ok fine-"

"Sweet, also, I'm sure you don't mind but I need a place to stay for a lil'bit, till my flight on next Saturday"

A pregnant pause, Woodwin could feel his hair growing white, he did not want to deal with Germaine all week in his house. "Fine." But it's not like he could say no to a friend who has nowhere to go.

Germaine patted him on the back. "I appreciate it brother, now let's get home and continue this conversation there, ey?"

"Aye."

[You guys hate Woodwin? Well have a chapter with just him! If you can't tell I'm making you wait for what happens next after the previous chapter in suspense, Chapter nine is currently in the works, or reworks since everything's being rewritten 🥰]